Jamaican Scientist Offered Over $11 Billion For Cancer Research Patent
It’s not uncommon to hear of Jamaicans doing BIG things both locally and internationally.
Dr. Lawrence Williams, a research consultant with the Scientific Research Council is certainly one Jamaican who has achieved great things and his hard work and dedication certainly make him worthy of recognition and emulation.
Williams obtained his Bachelor of Science degree in 1987, after completing undergraduate studies at the University of the West Indies (UWI) with a major in Zoology and a minor in Chemistry.
He has been studying a compound from the Guinea Hen Weed (scientific name: Petiveria alliacea) for several years which has now reached the patent stage.
So promising is his breakthrough that he has already been offered over $11 billion (US$100 million) for a patent relating to his cancer research.
The offer was however declined because its value is estimated to be greater than what was offered.
Dr. Williams and a Jamaican partner residing in the United States currently hold that patent and reportedly received the impressive offer from a major drug company located in the United States.
While speaking some time ago in an interview with RJR, Dr. Williams stated that the drug he is developing will be effective against a range of cancers. “It works on 12 kinds of cancers so far; two or three types of breast cancer, neuroblastoma, lung, melanoma, adenocarcinoma, prostate etc.”
Isn’t it great to know that Jamaicans are making such significant contributions to the world that one day may improve the quality of life for millions around the globe?
Dr Williams once stated while speaking with the Observer: “I have a passion for research. I love it. It is my lifeline, If I stopped doing it, I don’t know what I would do, I would die.”
Share your thoughts in the comments:
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Minor Quake Rattles Sections Of Jamaica - April 15, 2019
- Who Will Win The Jamaican Premier Football League 2019? - April 3, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 4: Nyanda - March 27, 2019
- Veteran Broadcaster Dorraine Samuels Dies At 59 - March 26, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 3: Anthony B - March 22, 2019
- Jamaican Players In the MLS - March 18, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 2: Julian Marley - March 12, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 1: Wayne Wonder - March 5, 2019
- Doctors Still Not Able To Diagnose Kemoy Campbell’s Condition - February 25, 2019
- Shaggy And Sting Cop Reggae Grammy - February 11, 2019