Jamaican Scientist Offered Over $11 Billion For Cancer Research Patent
It’s not uncommon to hear of Jamaicans doing BIG things both locally and internationally.
Dr. Lawrence Williams, a research consultant with the Scientific Research Council is certainly one Jamaican who has achieved great things and his hard work and dedication certainly make him worthy of recognition and emulation.
Williams obtained his Bachelor of Science degree in 1987, after completing undergraduate studies at the University of the West Indies (UWI) with a major in Zoology and a minor in Chemistry.
He has been studying a compound from the Guinea Hen Weed (scientific name: Petiveria alliacea) for several years which has now reached the patent stage.
So promising is his breakthrough that he has already been offered over $11 billion (US$100 million) for a patent relating to his cancer research.
The offer was however declined because its value is estimated to be greater than what was offered.
Dr. Williams and a Jamaican partner residing in the United States currently hold that patent and reportedly received the impressive offer from a major drug company located in the United States.
While speaking some time ago in an interview with RJR, Dr. Williams stated that the drug he is developing will be effective against a range of cancers. “It works on 12 kinds of cancers so far; two or three types of breast cancer, neuroblastoma, lung, melanoma, adenocarcinoma, prostate etc.”
Isn’t it great to know that Jamaicans are making such significant contributions to the world that one day may improve the quality of life for millions around the globe?
Dr Williams once stated while speaking with the Observer: “I have a passion for research. I love it. It is my lifeline, If I stopped doing it, I don’t know what I would do, I would die.”
Share your thoughts in the comments:
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Caribbean Airlines To Launch Flights From Jamaica To Cuba - October 21, 2019
- LISTEN: Ras Ghandi-State Of Emergency - October 19, 2019
- Ruffi Drops Awesome Music Video For His Hit Single ‘Pressure’ - October 18, 2019
- Gov’t Signs Contract to Build 1650 Homes In St Catherine - October 17, 2019
- Jamaican Gymnast Danusia Francis Books Spot At Olympic Games - October 10, 2019
- Massive Victory! Jamaica Take Gold In Women’s 4×100 At World Champs - October 6, 2019
- Health Ministry Halts Importation of Zantac - October 3, 2019
- JFF Calls For Women And Families To Come Out In Support Of The Reggae Girlz - September 19, 2019
- Visual Artist Maia Chung Invited By Major Italian Gallery For Consideration For Important Art Residency In Italy 2019 - September 18, 2019
- Players Struck By Lightning At Manning Cup Match - September 17, 2019