Justice Bryan Sykes Officially Sworn In As Chief Justice
Justice Bryan Sykes was officially sworn in as Chief Justice of Jamaica earlier today (March 1).
His appointment follows weeks of widespread outrage following Prime Minister Andrew Holness’s recommendation to the Governor General to appoint Justice Bryan Sykes to act in the post despite a clear vacancy.
Many persons were seemingly of the view that it was a poor decision by the prime minister to recommend that the veteran merely act in the post.
A report by The Gleaner says that up to last week, the Bar Association was planning to file a suit over the failure of the Prime Minister to recommend someone for a permanent appointment as Chief Justice.
Via a statement yesterday, Prime Minister Holness said after consulting with the Leader of the Opposition, he recommended to the Governor- General that the Honourable Mr Justice Bryan Sykes, CD, be appointed Chief Justice of Jamaica, with effect from March 1, 2018.
The Swearing-in ceremony for The Hon. Mr. Justice Bryan Sykes, CD was shared on PM Holness’s official Facebook page:
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 3: Anthony B - March 22, 2019
- Jamaican Players In the MLS - March 18, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 2: Julian Marley - March 12, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 1: Wayne Wonder - March 5, 2019
- Doctors Still Not Able To Diagnose Kemoy Campbell’s Condition - February 25, 2019
- Shaggy And Sting Cop Reggae Grammy - February 11, 2019
- Jamaica Remains 54th in Latest FIFA Rankings - February 8, 2019
- 3 Bedroom Home For Sale In St Thomas - February 5, 2019
- Caribbean Legal And Media Powerhouses Join Forces In South Florida - February 3, 2019
- First National Gallery Representation For Jamaican Visual Artist Maia Chung For 2019 - January 29, 2019