Justice Bryan Sykes Officially Sworn In As Chief Justice
Justice Bryan Sykes was officially sworn in as Chief Justice of Jamaica earlier today (March 1).
His appointment follows weeks of widespread outrage following Prime Minister Andrew Holness’s recommendation to the Governor General to appoint Justice Bryan Sykes to act in the post despite a clear vacancy.
Many persons were seemingly of the view that it was a poor decision by the prime minister to recommend that the veteran merely act in the post.
A report by The Gleaner says that up to last week, the Bar Association was planning to file a suit over the failure of the Prime Minister to recommend someone for a permanent appointment as Chief Justice.
Via a statement yesterday, Prime Minister Holness said after consulting with the Leader of the Opposition, he recommended to the Governor- General that the Honourable Mr Justice Bryan Sykes, CD, be appointed Chief Justice of Jamaica, with effect from March 1, 2018.
The Swearing-in ceremony for The Hon. Mr. Justice Bryan Sykes, CD was shared on PM Holness’s official Facebook page:
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Usain Bolt Scores Superb Header In Borussia Dortmund Kit! - March 21, 2018
- Former England Youth Star Appears Eager To Join Reggae Boyz - March 21, 2018
- Getting De-Inked: Why Jamaicans Are Rethinking Their Tattoos - March 20, 2018
- Jay Z, Beyonce Visit Jamaica - March 20, 2018
- State Of Public Emergency Declared In St. Catherine North Police Division - March 19, 2018
- Plans In Place To Make Port Royal Jamaica’s Next Big Cruise Destination - March 18, 2018
- Jamaican Among Six Killed In Bridge Collapse At Florida University - March 17, 2018
- Police Seize Over 1000 Rounds Of Assorted Ammunition In Cemetery – JCF - March 16, 2018
- Lisa Hanna – “Trump’s Tariffs Could Hurt Jamaica Badly!” - March 15, 2018
- 20 Million Streams On Spotify For Devin Di Dakta - March 15, 2018