Court Rules Brendan Bain’s Termination Breached His Right Of Freedom Of Expression
In 2014, Dr Brendan Bain – a professor at the University of the West Indies (UWI) sued the educational institution for defamation of character, and breach of his constitutional rights.
Professor Bain took legal action after he was controversially relieved of his duties as Director of the Regional Coordinating Unit of the Caribbean HIV/Training Network.
He was fired after lobby groups from across the Caribbean expressed their outrage over testimony he gave in a constitutional challenge brought by a gay Belizean man against that country’s criminal code in September 2010.
His sacking triggered widespread debate with many persons condemning Dr Bain for voicing his opinions publicly while others claimed scientific freedom of expression in the academic community was being stifled.
This afternoon (July 31), a court reportedly ordered that the UWI pay restitution of $4.27 million plus costs due in lieu of three months notice.
According to RJR, the court found that Professor Bain’s termination was a breach of his right of freedom of expression.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Jamaica Represented In IDB Development Work - May 26, 2018
- Reggae Boyz Fall Out Of Top 50 In Latest FIFA Rankings - May 26, 2018
- Sean Paul Announces Death Of His Father - May 25, 2018
- Ananda Alert Issued For Missing St Ann Teen - May 24, 2018
- Street Team Win ‘Clash 13’ Of Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites Competition - May 23, 2018
- Ignite IGL Foundation Brings Cheer To Riverton Meadows Early Childhood Centre - May 22, 2018
- Gasoline Retailers Express Concern As Fuel Prices Rise - May 22, 2018
- Security Forces Seize Masks, Firearms In Westmoreland - May 21, 2018
- Gov’t Considers Increasing Ethanol Percentage In Petrol - May 20, 2018
- Bayern Munich Reportedly Make €60 Million Offer For Jamaican Winger Leon Bailey - May 19, 2018