Court Rules Brendan Bain’s Termination Breached His Right Of Freedom Of Expression
In 2014, Dr Brendan Bain – a professor at the University of the West Indies (UWI) sued the educational institution for defamation of character, and breach of his constitutional rights.
Professor Bain took legal action after he was controversially relieved of his duties as Director of the Regional Coordinating Unit of the Caribbean HIV/Training Network.
He was fired after lobby groups from across the Caribbean expressed their outrage over testimony he gave in a constitutional challenge brought by a gay Belizean man against that country’s criminal code in September 2010.
His sacking triggered widespread debate with many persons condemning Dr Bain for voicing his opinions publicly while others claimed scientific freedom of expression in the academic community was being stifled.
This afternoon (July 31), a court reportedly ordered that the UWI pay restitution of $4.27 million plus costs due in lieu of three months notice.
According to RJR, the court found that Professor Bain’s termination was a breach of his right of freedom of expression.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Reggae Boy Kevon Lambert Signs For Phoenix Rising FC - August 21, 2017
- Thompson Wins Women’s 100m At Birmingham Diamond League - August 20, 2017
- Upcoming Solar Eclipse Will Obscure Large View Of The Sun From Jamaica, But Protect Your Eyes! - August 20, 2017
- 10 Persons Struck By Lightning At Mystic mountain - August 19, 2017
- Tropical Storm Harvey Being Monitored By ODPEM, Met Office - August 19, 2017
- Regulations Coming For Motorcycle Sale And Use (NRSC) - August 18, 2017
- Employment In Jamaica At All-Time High - August 18, 2017
- Bolt To Miss Opportunity To Play For Manchester United Due To Injury - August 17, 2017
- Jamaican Farm Worker Dies In Tractor Roll-Over Accident In Canada - August 17, 2017
- Elaine Thompson To Compete In Diamond League This Sunday - August 17, 2017