Jamaica, Can We Ever Repair Our Country?
Jamaica, can we ever repair our county?
Let us think about this for a moment.
It has been fifty-four years, right….fifty-four years, since we became independent. That is a long time.
The sad reality is, they have 54 years of stagnation, regression, dysfunction, and gradual deterioration. We hold elections, and we turn out to vote, all the while holding out hope that our politicians can save our country.
But the truth is, they have no desire to do so, because they do not have the tools to fix it.
They know this, and that is why they have governed the way that they do for decades.
Their style of governance is not inclusive of the Jamaican people, until election rolls around.
The only thing that they do is keep government functioning (just barely) in order to keep their jobs.
We have a beautiful island that has gone to hell in a hand basket. We have a society, starting at the top, that has been saturated with corruption and lawlessness for a very long time.
Without tourism, where would we be? What happens if/when tourists stop coming to our shores because we have failed to control crime?
Most of our people want to see our country do well, but we do not have the mental wherewithal or the will to fight for REAL/EFFECTIVE change. We have enabled our government to govern the way they do for decades and we are conditioned to expect nothing better.
Based on recent studies we now have a population where close to 12 percent of the people are illiterate, how did we get here? We have no compassion for one another anymore. Last year we closed out at 1,200 murders and have not been able to get below 500 murders per year for decades.
Gone are the days when we can work overseas and yearn to run back home to resettle. So, who will, and how do we repair 54 years of dysfunction?
I will always love my country. Her landscape is one that is uniquely beautiful. I will always yearn to go back and visit, and I will. But it saddens me to see where our people have brought our country, after 54 years.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why are Jamaicans so Accepting of Barbaric Behaviour? - February 3, 2017
- Jamaicans Need a Culture Change about Paedophilia - January 11, 2017
- The Prime Minister’s Approach is the Right One - January 3, 2017
- Colourism - December 7, 2016
- Jamaican Lives Matter - October 11, 2016
- Where are the Women’s Advocates in Jamaica? - May 29, 2016
- Real Women Don’t Try to Bring Other Women Down - April 5, 2016
- Jamaica, Can We Ever Repair Our Country? - March 3, 2016
- Have Jamaicans Become a Society Obsessed With Morbidity? - February 12, 2016
- PNP – The Party for Women - February 11, 2016