Some Famous People you Probably Didn’t know had Jamaican Ancestry

Jamaicans can be found on every corner of the planet.

We are an adventurous people and we usually work very hard to achieve our aspirations.

You’ve most likely seen some of these faces many times without knowing of their Jamaican connection.

Here is a list of famous people you probably didn’t know have Jamaican heritage.

You may be surprised by some of the names on this list.

Kerry Washington

More popularly known as Olivia Pope for her lead role in the mega hit TV show Scandal, Kerry Washington has a Jamaican mother.

olivia-pope

Delroy Lindo

Lindo was born in Eltham, south-east London. He is the son of Jamaican immigrant parents, and was brought up in nearby Lewisham. His mother was a nurse and his father worked in various jobs. As a teenager, he and his mother moved to Toronto, Canada, and when he was sixteen, they moved to San Francisco, where Lindo would graduate from the American Conservatory Theater.

delroy lindo Believe Jamaica

Corbin Bleu

Bleu was born in Brooklyn, New York City, the son of Martha (née Callari) and David Reivers. His mother is Italian American and his father is Jamaican American.

One Life To Live

Tyson Beckford

Tyson Beckford’s parents are from Jamaica. He actually lived in the island until he was 7.

555px-Tyson_Beckford

Louis Farrakhan

Farrakhan was born Louis Eugene Wolcott (also mistakenly spelled Walcott) in The Bronx, New York, the younger of two sons of Sarah Mae Manning (January 16, 1900 – November 18, 1988) and Percival Clark, immigrants from the Caribbean islands. His mother was born in Saint Kitts and Nevis. His father was a Jamaican native.

Farrakhan

Sheryl Lee Ralph

Raised between Mandeville, Jamaica, and Long Island, Sheryl Lee Ralph was born in Waterbury, Connecticut, to an African- American father and a Jamaican mother.

Sheryl_Lee_Ralph

Dulé Hill

This popular actor from the hit TV show Psych Hill was born in East Brunswick, New Jersey, to parents Jennifer and Bertram Hill (who are both from Jamaica).

Dule Hill from Psych is Jamaican

Sanya Richards-Ross

Sanya Richards-Ross was born February 26, 1985 in Kingston, Jamaica. She competes internationally for the United States.

Sanya Richards Ross is Jamaican

Colin Powell

Powell was born on April 5, 1937, in Harlem, a neighborhood in the New York City borough of Manhattan, to Jamaican immigrant parents Maud Arial (née McKoy) and Luther Theophilus Powell.

background history of Colin Powell

Lennox Lewis

Lewis was born on 2 September 1965, in West Ham, London, England to Jamaican-born parents.

Lennox Lewis boxer is Jamaican

The Notorious B.I.G

Born in St. Mary’s Hospital on May 21, 1972, Wallace grew up in the Clinton Hill section of Brooklyn, New York City on 226 St. James Place  near the border of Bedford-Stuyvesant, considered at the time to be within the latter neighborhood’s boundaries. He was the only child of Voletta Wallace, a Jamaican preschool teacher, and George Latore, a welder and small-time Jamaican politician.

where is Notorious BIG from

Susan Rice

United States National Security Advisor  Susan Rice was born in Washington, D.C., to Emmett J. Rice (1919–2011), Cornell University economics professor and the second black governor of the Federal Reserve System; and education policy scholar Lois (née Dickson) Fitt, currently at the Brookings Institution. Her maternal grandparents were Jamaican.

susan

David Paterson

This former Governor of New York was born in Brooklyn to Portia Paterson, a homemaker, and labor law attorney Basil Paterson. His father is half Afro-Jamaican. His paternal grandmother, Evangeline Rondon Paterson was secretary to Black Nationalist leader Marcus Garvey.

David Paterson has Jamaican blood in him

Canibus

Germaine Williams (born December 9, 1974) better known by his stage name Canibus, is a Jamaican-American rapper and actor. He rose to fame in the mid-Nineties.

Canibus is from jamaica

Source: wikipedia.com

Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.

Casmore Wood

It is a pity that our leaders are failing us by not implementing law to curb crime,create opportunity and put in the infurstructure so that people can achieve in Jamaica… I love my home but because of the lack of opportunity for young people.. I would leave,, thousands have leave to work abroad n will never return.. because our divide and rule system only look out for the upper classes while the masses suffer…

Lyssette Hawthorne-Wilson

Nice to know

Althea Walters

Jamaicans are a people of dynamic worth. Just goes to show we all, and will realize our place!

Claudja Williams

You cant be “jamaican American”. jamaican is not a race its a nationality

Patsy Warmoth
Patsy Warmoth
2 months ago

I am Jamaican American dear

Dollis Magdalee James Bailey

Andrew I like your post

Colenso Campbell

A very good and refreshing piece Mr McLeod

Dave Clarke

And, of course, Dave Clarke of Microdac Videos.

Alice Ann Gabbidon

Very interesting.Nice piece

Dave Clarke

And, of course, Dave Clarke of Microdac Videos.

Claudja Williams

You cant be “jamaican American”. jamaican is not a race its a nationality

Casmore Wood

Dollis Magdalee James Bailey

Andrew I like your post

Colenso Campbell

A very good and refreshing piece Mr McLeod

Lyssette Hawthorne

Nice to know

Marvin Adetumbi Campbell

Of course.

Sharon Bryant

I have no idea what Mr Chambers is talking about? Jamaica is a mess, I don’t know who’s to blame but it’s a mess. I left there when I was 14 years old, with every intention of retiring back in Jamaica. I am now retired but I am scared to death of Jamaica. It’s sad really!

Patsy Warmoth
Patsy Warmoth
2 months ago
Reply to  Sharon Bryant

True. I have the same sentiment

Sandra Levien

To the editor: you meant they have Jamaican “Ancestry” not Jamaican “Heritage”. Two completely different things!

Lilly Brown

I new a lot of them were, good to know.

Sandra Wong

wow

FireLord Azula

Well… with a name like Delroy he couldn’t be anything but Jamaican lol

FireLord Azula

Well… with a name like Delroy he couldn’t be anything but Jamaican lol

Maxine Decarish

You all need to step up for Jamaica they need help

Maxine Decarish

We connect

Sandra Williams-Phillips

Grace Jones.

Margaret Cooke

T.V. News anchor Lester Holt’s mother is Jamaican and she grew up in Jamaica

Margaret Cooke

T.V. News anchor Lester Holt’s mother is Jamaican and she grew up in Jamaica

Cheryl Pennant-Lowe

There are many more that have Jamaican heritage.For example, Heavy D.

Marcus Dante

Well in the UK we just say Afro Caribbean. Famous British based Jamaicans would include Lewis Hamilton, Linford Christie, Naomi Campbell, Kelly Holmes, Denise Lewis, John Barnes, Jessica Ennis, Ian Wright, Colin Jackson, Alesha Dixon, Slick Rick and Lenny Henry. Musicians Boney M, Aswad, Levi Roots, Peter Hunnigale, Maxi Priest. Others that were missed out are Busta Rhymes, Wentworth Miller, Alicia Keys, Pepa from Salt n Pepa (Sandra Denton), Kristin Kreuk (grandmother Chinese Jamaican), Patrick Ewing, Ben Johnson, Donavan Bailey. Also Bleu Corbin, Christopher Reid (From Kid n Play) . Small tiny little Island, quite strange.

Jacinth Stapleton

I am a Jamaican who carries an American citizenship,I am also one who is considering returning to Ja when I retire in 2 years. But with what I am hearing happiness to returnes I am not so sure

Donat Levy

Good but a whole lot of Jamaicans lose their nationality. Stop talking about Afro Jamaican , Half Jamaican.

Donat Levy

Certain you have not seen anything like English American?,German American as often as how people of is described . So are my grandchildren afro American Jamaican.

Teacha Chin