Bolt’s Bow Will Be Debut Down Under In Friendly
Ex-sprint star, as left-back, to tackle local amateur side
Usain Bolt will be given his professional football debut in Friday’s friendly for Australian side Central Coast Mariners.
The Jamaican 32-year-old former sprint icon is set to be given a run-out against amateur outfit Central Coast Select, with an anticipated crowd of 12,000.
Bolt, who joined the A-League basement team on trial earlier this month, is set to play as left-back – although he has yet to impress head coach Mike Mulvey.
Mulvey explained that the ex-Olympic champion was finding some aspects of training tough.
He said: “The things we’re asking him to do are things he hasn’t done for a number of years. It’s all about being able to do it at the speed that we do it.
“He’s played football as an athlete in between athletic meets, so he has rudimentary skills.”
Bolt’s yet to pen a deal with the Mariners but is in an open-ended trial with the top-tier club for the forthcoming 10-team A-League campaign.
The pre-season friendly is expected to attract national and international attention at the Central Coast Stadium in Gosford, New South Wales with Bolt the star showing although not the star player.
Bolt admitted: “There’ll be nerves because it’s not like it’s a charity game anymore – this is a career that I”m pursuing.
“I expect to make mistakes, I know I’m not going to have a perfect game.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Bolt Back Training In Australia In Bid To Earn Contract - September 20, 2018
- Pitcairn Tackles New Role With CFU - September 17, 2018
- Bailey May Get Shot At World Cup Glory With Jamaica - September 14, 2018
- World Cup Winner Believes Bolt Could Be “Very Good Footballer” - September 13, 2018
- Bolt Takes Break From A-League Down Under - September 11, 2018
- Jamaica Cruise Past Cayman Islands - September 10, 2018
- Ecuador End Jamaica’s Six-Game Unbeaten Run - September 8, 2018
- Return Of Overseas Players For Reggae Boyz But No Surprises - September 4, 2018
- Bolt Kicks Off Football Career With 18-Minute Stint - August 31, 2018
- Bolt’s Bow Will Be Debut Down Under In Friendly - August 29, 2018