Bolt’s Bow Will Be Debut Down Under In Friendly
Ex-sprint star, as left-back, to tackle local amateur side
Usain Bolt will be given his professional football debut in Friday’s friendly for Australian side Central Coast Mariners.
The Jamaican 32-year-old former sprint icon is set to be given a run-out against amateur outfit Central Coast Select, with an anticipated crowd of 12,000.
Bolt, who joined the A-League basement team on trial earlier this month, is set to play as left-back – although he has yet to impress head coach Mike Mulvey.
Mulvey explained that the ex-Olympic champion was finding some aspects of training tough.
He said: “The things we’re asking him to do are things he hasn’t done for a number of years. It’s all about being able to do it at the speed that we do it.
“He’s played football as an athlete in between athletic meets, so he has rudimentary skills.”
Bolt’s yet to pen a deal with the Mariners but is in an open-ended trial with the top-tier club for the forthcoming 10-team A-League campaign.
The pre-season friendly is expected to attract national and international attention at the Central Coast Stadium in Gosford, New South Wales with Bolt the star showing although not the star player.
Bolt admitted: “There’ll be nerves because it’s not like it’s a charity game anymore – this is a career that I”m pursuing.
“I expect to make mistakes, I know I’m not going to have a perfect game.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Bolt In Race For Football Dream - November 16, 2018
- Jamaica Hitman Aiming To Fire On All Cylinders - November 15, 2018
- Reggae Boy Kemar Lawrence Recognised Among Elite In MLS - November 14, 2018
- Bolt Bites Back Over Footballing Criticism - November 5, 2018
- Wes Morgan Leads Grieving Leicester To Tribute Win - November 4, 2018
- Bolt’s Journey At Central Coast Mariners Ends - November 2, 2018
- Bolt’s Flirtation With Football In Australia On The Rocks - October 25, 2018
- Bolt’s Football Dream Down Under In Limbo - October 23, 2018
- Bolt Contemplates Pro Football Contract Offer Down Under - October 22, 2018
- Bolt Football Contract Becomes A Farce - October 21, 2018