We Are Failing Our Children
Nothing surprises me anymore, but today, I am really disappointed in my country’s justice system and how it affects children. I am also disappointed in our government officials’ attitude towards child abuse.
The JCF recently announced that a Chinese national – 53-year-old Yuemei Pan, was arrested and charged with assault occasioning bodily harm after a video which appeared to show her accusing a child of stealing and slapping her in the face went viral.
And so far, to my knowledge, not one government official has said a word about it. We’ve only heard that CDA (Child Development Agency) is looking into it. No update. The police supposedly charged the perpetrator, but the charge was subsequently dropped due to a “lack of evidence” and we still don’t know what consequences she will face.
I’d like to know what is the protocol within our judicial system when a case involving a child and abuse comes before the court.
Normally, there’s a defendant (the Chinese lady) and a plaintiff (the child). There’s a defense attorney on the Chinese’s behalf. There’s someone working on behalf of the state and child.
In this case, the Chinese national went to court and there was “no evidence” against her. It makes me wonder if there was anyone working for the state to ensure that justice was carried out. His/her job would be to PREPARE to make a case against the defendant.
My questions are:
1). Who was the state advocate on the child’s behalf, and did he/she interview witnesses and gather their evidence against the woman? Did the child give a statement and if so was her word coupled with video footage not “evidence” enough against the woman?
2). Was the CDA notified about this case which involved a child and did they come in and do any work?
If the answer to either of these questions is no, and if everyone remains tight lipped about it, this is more than enough proof that Jamaica is a failed state. It is failing our children. It fails our nation in that an immigrant can come into the country and apparently assault a CHILD without legal ramification.
We can clearly see what is happening here. When ‘Machete Mom’ beat her daughter and the video surfaced a year later, she was immediately arrested. I’m sure the Chinese national is sleeping easy tonight. Jamaica is not for its people and especially not the poor.
By Natalee Stack
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- We Are Failing Our Children - January 14, 2018
- Is There A Serial Killer Targeting Women In St Catherine? - December 26, 2017
- Enforce Child Sex Abuse Laws In Jamaica! - December 24, 2017
- How I Think NIDS Came Into Being - December 7, 2017
- Import Wisely – Don’t Blame The Customs Officers! - October 13, 2017
- “Machete Mom” Is A Demonstration Of A Larger Problem In Jamaica - October 4, 2017
- What Role Are Women In Jamaica Playing To Help Stem Violence Against Them? - August 23, 2017
- Why are Jamaicans so Accepting of Barbaric Behaviour? - February 3, 2017
- Jamaicans Need a Culture Change about Paedophilia - January 11, 2017
- The Prime Minister’s Approach is the Right One - January 3, 2017