Should Prisoners Be Allowed Conjugal Visits?
So I come in late with the argument of prisoners being allowed to have intimacy with their partners on the premises.
After all, Minister of National Security Robert Montague might have had enough of the backlash. I come from a different perspective.
Recently, I had to visit a young man in one of the lock-ups in St Mary for several weeks.
Firstly, all items I brought were placed in clear plastic bags – whether it was toothpaste, ginger beer, crackers, biscuits and even body wash. Not allowed cheese, cookies and such…Kinda of weird seeing toothpaste squeezed into a plastic bag…….What about scanning machines?
Secondly, I conversed with the young man by going to the rear of the building and shouting his name towards a ground floor window, which apparently was the cell he was detained in.
A man sitting in front of the prison offered to shout the name because my voice involuntarily dropped as I thought of the indignity of such communication.
So, Bobby, is it any different in prison? Where will these couples re-unite, – on the cardboard some prisoners sleep on? What of the different “baby mothers” for male prisoners? Will each of them have these privileges?
What of the babies conceived from such joyous passionate moments? How will they fare with their fathers behind bars? What of female prisoners? Will they have children behind bars? And what of the gay/lesbian prisoners?
Perhaps my old school mate Bobby has invented a new form of intimacy where the couples shout at each other as done with visits to these institutions now.
But my footnote is: Bobby, it is better to be thought stupid than give worthy evidence to the fact. Peace out!
By Neo Makeba
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Food Security A Top Priority For Jamaica - February 22, 2018
- Critical Discourse On Education – A Principal’s Perspective - February 17, 2018
- Jamaica – Amazing Pregnant Paradise Waiting To Deliver - February 4, 2018
- Soldiers Roaming the Streets - January 27, 2018
- Andrew Holness Security and Political Coup – A Stroke of Genius - January 25, 2018
- Jamaica Resting Perilously On Sinking Sandz - January 15, 2018
- ON YAH BIKE! - December 29, 2017
- Opinion: Jamaica Betrayed Israel With Abstention From Jerusalem Vote - December 28, 2017
- Jamaican Reggae & Dancehall Artistes Pricing Themselves Out Of Work - November 19, 2017
- National Identification System– A Sellout By the JLP Government - November 17, 2017