Jamaica On Target For 30% Renewable Energy
Jamaica is on target to achieving 30 per cent of its energy consumption via renewables by 2030 according to Minister of Science, Energy and Technology, Dr. the Hon. Andrew Wheatley.
According to Dr Wheatley, as of last year, 10.5 per cent of net electricity generated was obtained from renewable energy.
He made the announcement while making his contribution to the 2017/18 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on April 18.
The Minister pointed out that 2016 saw the diversification of the country’s energy sources in a significant way as the country ushered in an additional 80 megawatts (MW) of generating capacity from renewable sources.
He stated: “Specifically, 24 MW was commissioned in June 2016 with the implementation of Wigton III by Wigton Wind Farm Limited; 36.6 MW (of) wind power was commissioned in August 2016 by Blue Mountain Renewables Limited; and Content Solar completed construction and began supply of 20 MW of electricity to the grid”.
He also noted that a licence was awarded to Eight Rivers Energy Company to supply up to 37 MW of electricity from a solar photovoltaic plant located in Westmoreland.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- England, Australia Gear Up For The Ashes Series - June 27, 2017
- Elderly Man Collapses at Norman Manley Airport, Dies - June 27, 2017
- Bolt Nominated For Coveted ESPY Award - June 27, 2017
- Jamaican Dollar Continues to Revalue, May Re-enter $128 to US$1 Territory - June 26, 2017
- Omar McLeod Smashes National 110M Hurdles Record - June 25, 2017
- Substation Fire Plunges Sections of St Ann Into Darkness - June 25, 2017
- Hanover’s Most Wanted Man Killed - June 24, 2017
- Pepsi-Cola Jamaica Signs Shenseea As Brand Ambassador - June 24, 2017
- Man Afflicted By Water-Borne Disease Tests Negative For Cholera - June 24, 2017
- Little Girl Among Three Shot Dead in Kingston - June 23, 2017