Jamaica On Target For 30% Renewable Energy
Jamaica is on target to achieving 30 per cent of its energy consumption via renewables by 2030 according to Minister of Science, Energy and Technology, Dr. the Hon. Andrew Wheatley.
According to Dr Wheatley, as of last year, 10.5 per cent of net electricity generated was obtained from renewable energy.
He made the announcement while making his contribution to the 2017/18 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on April 18.
The Minister pointed out that 2016 saw the diversification of the country’s energy sources in a significant way as the country ushered in an additional 80 megawatts (MW) of generating capacity from renewable sources.
He stated: “Specifically, 24 MW was commissioned in June 2016 with the implementation of Wigton III by Wigton Wind Farm Limited; 36.6 MW (of) wind power was commissioned in August 2016 by Blue Mountain Renewables Limited; and Content Solar completed construction and began supply of 20 MW of electricity to the grid”.
He also noted that a licence was awarded to Eight Rivers Energy Company to supply up to 37 MW of electricity from a solar photovoltaic plant located in Westmoreland.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- U-17 Reggae Girlz Out Of Contention For Women’s World Cup - October 23, 2017
- Bloody Weekend Sees Seven Killed In St James - October 22, 2017
- ‘A Lot’ Of Football Clubs Have Contacted Me – Usain Bolt - October 22, 2017
- 2018 FIFA World Cup Dream Still Alive For Jamaica’s Young Reggae Girlz - October 21, 2017
- Prolific Jamaican Striker Dane Kelly Earns Golden Boot Award In USL - October 20, 2017
- 91-Yr-Old Jamaican Man Killed, Wife Injured During Robbery In The US - October 19, 2017
- PM Gives Mount Salem ZOSO ‘B Plus’ Grade - October 19, 2017
- Several High Powered Weapons Seized at Newport West – JCF - October 18, 2017
- Reggae Boy Andre Blake Nominated For MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - October 18, 2017
- PM Declares Denham Town Second Zone of Special Operations - October 17, 2017