Jamaica On Target For 30% Renewable Energy
Jamaica is on target to achieving 30 per cent of its energy consumption via renewables by 2030 according to Minister of Science, Energy and Technology, Dr. the Hon. Andrew Wheatley.
According to Dr Wheatley, as of last year, 10.5 per cent of net electricity generated was obtained from renewable energy.
He made the announcement while making his contribution to the 2017/18 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on April 18.
The Minister pointed out that 2016 saw the diversification of the country’s energy sources in a significant way as the country ushered in an additional 80 megawatts (MW) of generating capacity from renewable sources.
He stated: “Specifically, 24 MW was commissioned in June 2016 with the implementation of Wigton III by Wigton Wind Farm Limited; 36.6 MW (of) wind power was commissioned in August 2016 by Blue Mountain Renewables Limited; and Content Solar completed construction and began supply of 20 MW of electricity to the grid”.
He also noted that a licence was awarded to Eight Rivers Energy Company to supply up to 37 MW of electricity from a solar photovoltaic plant located in Westmoreland.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Shaggy Performs At Queen Elizabeth’s Birthday Party - April 24, 2018
- Oil And Gas 3D Seismic Survey Nearly 50 Percent Complete - April 22, 2018
- Solange Knowles Writes Thank You Letter To Jamaica - April 21, 2018
- Canadian Politician Sparks Outrage With Remarks About Jamaicans, Later Apologises - April 20, 2018
- Health Ministry Reports Steep Rise In Obesity Among 13-15 Year Olds - April 19, 2018
- Counterfeit Goods Valuing Over $100 Million Seized, Two Chinese Nationals Arrested - April 18, 2018
- Jamaicans Among Thousands From Caribbean To See Their Status Legalised In The UK - April 17, 2018
- Murders Down By Nearly 80 Percent In St James Under State Of Emergency - April 16, 2018
- 27 Medals For Jamaica At 2018 Commonwealth Games - April 15, 2018
- Leon Bailey Backs Bolt To Succeed As A Professional Footballer - April 14, 2018