Jamaica On Target For 30% Renewable Energy
Jamaica is on target to achieving 30 per cent of its energy consumption via renewables by 2030 according to Minister of Science, Energy and Technology, Dr. the Hon. Andrew Wheatley.
According to Dr Wheatley, as of last year, 10.5 per cent of net electricity generated was obtained from renewable energy.
He made the announcement while making his contribution to the 2017/18 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on April 18.
The Minister pointed out that 2016 saw the diversification of the country’s energy sources in a significant way as the country ushered in an additional 80 megawatts (MW) of generating capacity from renewable sources.
He stated: “Specifically, 24 MW was commissioned in June 2016 with the implementation of Wigton III by Wigton Wind Farm Limited; 36.6 MW (of) wind power was commissioned in August 2016 by Blue Mountain Renewables Limited; and Content Solar completed construction and began supply of 20 MW of electricity to the grid”.
He also noted that a licence was awarded to Eight Rivers Energy Company to supply up to 37 MW of electricity from a solar photovoltaic plant located in Westmoreland.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Getting De-Inked: Why Jamaicans Are Rethinking Their Tattoos - March 20, 2018
- Jay Z, Beyonce Visit Jamaica - March 20, 2018
- State Of Public Emergency Declared In St. Catherine North Police Division - March 19, 2018
- Plans In Place To Make Port Royal Jamaica’s Next Big Cruise Destination - March 18, 2018
- Jamaican Among Six Killed In Bridge Collapse At Florida University - March 17, 2018
- Police Seize Over 1000 Rounds Of Assorted Ammunition In Cemetery – JCF - March 16, 2018
- Lisa Hanna – “Trump’s Tariffs Could Hurt Jamaica Badly!” - March 15, 2018
- 20 Million Streams On Spotify For Devin Di Dakta - March 15, 2018
- Jamaican Artiste Sues Miley Cyrus For US$300 Million Over ‘We Can’t Stop’ - March 14, 2018
- US$500 Round Trip Flights From Jamaica To Germany Now Being Offered - March 14, 2018