Jamaica On Target For 30% Renewable Energy
Jamaica is on target to achieving 30 per cent of its energy consumption via renewables by 2030 according to Minister of Science, Energy and Technology, Dr. the Hon. Andrew Wheatley.
According to Dr Wheatley, as of last year, 10.5 per cent of net electricity generated was obtained from renewable energy.
He made the announcement while making his contribution to the 2017/18 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on April 18.
The Minister pointed out that 2016 saw the diversification of the country’s energy sources in a significant way as the country ushered in an additional 80 megawatts (MW) of generating capacity from renewable sources.
He stated: “Specifically, 24 MW was commissioned in June 2016 with the implementation of Wigton III by Wigton Wind Farm Limited; 36.6 MW (of) wind power was commissioned in August 2016 by Blue Mountain Renewables Limited; and Content Solar completed construction and began supply of 20 MW of electricity to the grid”.
He also noted that a licence was awarded to Eight Rivers Energy Company to supply up to 37 MW of electricity from a solar photovoltaic plant located in Westmoreland.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Leon Bailey Named In Provisional Reggae Boyz Squad For 2020 Olympic Qualifiers - February 24, 2018
- Live Oil Seeps Discovered In Jamaica! - February 23, 2018
- Two Charged For Murder Of Elderly Jamaican-Canadian Couple - February 22, 2018
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez Visit Jamaica For His Dad’s Wedding - February 21, 2018
- Fire Destroys Historic Methodist Church In St Ann - February 21, 2018
- Jamaican Man Labelled A Hero After Saving Young Girl From Vicious Pit Bull In Florida - February 20, 2018
- Jamaica’s Female Bobsleighers Complete Impressive Run At Winter Olympics - February 20, 2018
- Leon Bailey Steals Ball Off Defender, Evades Goalkeeper To Score - February 19, 2018
- Jimmy Cliff’s Daughter In Marvel’s Black Panther Movie - February 18, 2018
- Victim In Florida Mass Shooting Reportedly Has Jamaican Roots (Updated) - February 16, 2018