Jamaica On Target For 30% Renewable Energy
Jamaica is on target to achieving 30 per cent of its energy consumption via renewables by 2030 according to Minister of Science, Energy and Technology, Dr. the Hon. Andrew Wheatley.
According to Dr Wheatley, as of last year, 10.5 per cent of net electricity generated was obtained from renewable energy.
He made the announcement while making his contribution to the 2017/18 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on April 18.
The Minister pointed out that 2016 saw the diversification of the country’s energy sources in a significant way as the country ushered in an additional 80 megawatts (MW) of generating capacity from renewable sources.
He stated: “Specifically, 24 MW was commissioned in June 2016 with the implementation of Wigton III by Wigton Wind Farm Limited; 36.6 MW (of) wind power was commissioned in August 2016 by Blue Mountain Renewables Limited; and Content Solar completed construction and began supply of 20 MW of electricity to the grid”.
He also noted that a licence was awarded to Eight Rivers Energy Company to supply up to 37 MW of electricity from a solar photovoltaic plant located in Westmoreland.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: email@example.com
- Thompson Wins Women’s 100m At Birmingham Diamond League - August 20, 2017
- Upcoming Solar Eclipse Will Obscure Large View Of The Sun From Jamaica, But Protect Your Eyes! - August 20, 2017
- 10 Persons Struck By Lightning At Mystic mountain - August 19, 2017
- Tropical Storm Harvey Being Monitored By ODPEM, Met Office - August 19, 2017
- Regulations Coming For Motorcycle Sale And Use (NRSC) - August 18, 2017
- Employment In Jamaica At All-Time High - August 18, 2017
- Bolt To Miss Opportunity To Play For Manchester United Due To Injury - August 17, 2017
- Jamaican Farm Worker Dies In Tractor Roll-Over Accident In Canada - August 17, 2017
- Elaine Thompson To Compete In Diamond League This Sunday - August 17, 2017
- Businessman Killed In Sandy Bay, Clarendon - August 16, 2017