Scotiabank Removes $385 Fee to Exchange $5,000 Bill For Smaller Notes
Scotiabank Jamaica recently received a fair amount of backlash after news of a $385 fee to change a $5,000 note into smaller denominations became widespread.
The bank has now reportedly taken steps to do away with the charge, which it says was being incorrectly applied to some customers.
According to The Gleaner, Deputy Chief Executive Officer of Scotiabank Jamaica, David Noel today stated that the charge was never designed for retail customers.
He also said the charge was intended for business people who are doing larger cash-for-cash transactions.
“We did not intend it to apply to the smaller customers but to avoid any further confusion we have made it very clear to our branch network that that fee will not apply,” he said.
“When we roll things out or try things we do listen to feedback from our customers and we don’t always get it right and when we don’t, we try and make the adjustments that are fair and reasonable as quickly as possible,” the deputy CEO is also quoted as saying by The Gleaner.
The charge will now reportedly apply only to persons who want to exchange $20,000 or more.
Late last year Scotiabank Jamaica, after receiving a fair amount of criticism reverted a 1000 percent fee hike for customers who sought to encash cheques following widespread complaints.
The fee per cheque had risen from $385 across-the-board to $1,385 for cheques from other banks.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Leon Bailey Named In Provisional Reggae Boyz Squad For 2020 Olympic Qualifiers - February 24, 2018
- Live Oil Seeps Discovered In Jamaica! - February 23, 2018
- Two Charged For Murder Of Elderly Jamaican-Canadian Couple - February 22, 2018
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez Visit Jamaica For His Dad’s Wedding - February 21, 2018
- Fire Destroys Historic Methodist Church In St Ann - February 21, 2018
- Jamaican Man Labelled A Hero After Saving Young Girl From Vicious Pit Bull In Florida - February 20, 2018
- Jamaica’s Female Bobsleighers Complete Impressive Run At Winter Olympics - February 20, 2018
- Leon Bailey Steals Ball Off Defender, Evades Goalkeeper To Score - February 19, 2018
- Jimmy Cliff’s Daughter In Marvel’s Black Panther Movie - February 18, 2018
- Victim In Florida Mass Shooting Reportedly Has Jamaican Roots (Updated) - February 16, 2018