My Interpretations For Some Popular Jamaican Sayings
1. When you lie down with dog, you get fleas. – This is the company you keep
2. Puss and dog don’t have the same luck. – Neither do you or I: Everyone’s luck is unique.
3. Fisherman neva say him fish smell stink. – None of my products do.
4. If you have a fren inna Mango Walk, you can get mango any time. – A good friend is always helpful.
5. What gone bad from morning, cyaan fix by evening – Well if the diesel broke down, hard to find the repairman.
7. New broom sweep strong, old broom know the carnas. – Corners are difficult, not for the old guy though
8. Cockroach don business in fowl fight – Why should he? He might get ‘picked’ or swallowed.
9. Jackass say the playing field nuh level. – That is why he is a jackass.
10. Them say she caan’t mash ants, but maybe she can kill cow. One never knows about these things.
11. If you get yuh han’ in a devil mout, micase tek it out. – If you get into trouble take the fastest way out
12. Nuh wait till drum beat before you grine you axe – No waiting for the applause
13. 29 days for the tief, one day for the policeman. – One day the police will get you.
By Ramesh Sujanani
- Poverty And Crime - July 26, 2015
- My Interpretations For Some Popular Jamaican Sayings - June 25, 2015
- School Zones - June 18, 2015
- Should a Tax Be Imposed on Refined Imported Sugar? - June 12, 2015
- Tourism: Destroying Ocho Rios’s Share - May 22, 2015
- Jamaica should strengthen its relationship with Noranda - May 11, 2015
- Religion and Atheism – Is there a Supreme Creator? - April 24, 2015
- Patois for the People - April 13, 2015
- Raise Wages in Jamaica Now! - March 19, 2015
- Could Reparations Fix Jamaica’s Economy? - March 8, 2015