Technology Minister calls for more Affordable High Speed Internet in Jamaica
Jamaica’s Technology Minister Phillip Paulwell has asked telecommunications operators to reduce the cost of the broadband Internet services they provide so that more Jamaicans will be able to have access to high speed internet.
The minister made the request during his address at the Jamaica Computer Society 40th Anniversary and Lifetime Achievement Awards Banquet recently.
Armed with data from the International Telecommunication Union, the minister showed that where broadband rates fell, there was a correlating increase in broadband penetration.
Globally, fixed broadband prices have decreased by approximately 82 per cent between 2008 and 2012.
Jamaica is currently ranked 123 from a total of 195 countries in mobile broadband penetration and 95 in fixed broadband penetration rates, placing the country behind many of its CARICOM neighbours.
Paulwell has announced the appointments of two bodies, the Board of Directors of the e-Government Company Jamaica Limited and the National Information Communication Technology (ICT) Advisory Council.
University of the West Indies Professor Evan Duggan was named chairman of the e-Gov board; while Carlton Samuels, an IT Consultant, was named chairman of the ICT Advisory Council.
In these trying times, this will be welcome news to many Jamaicans who currently cannot afford a high speed internet connection.
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.
- Reggae Boy Luton Shelton Afflicted With ALS Disease - October 13, 2018
- Alia Atkinson Scares World Record - October 6, 2018
- Jamaica, Russia Sign Reciprocal Visa Waiver Agreement - October 2, 2018
- Buju’s Post Prison Tour In The Works - September 26, 2018
- More Casinos To Boost Tourism In Jamaica? - September 19, 2018
- Isaac Dissipates - September 15, 2018
- Isaac To Hit Lesser Antilles, Not Currently A Threat To Jamaica - September 12, 2018
- Ideal Selections For Your BTTS Tips - September 10, 2018
- ‘Nick’s Seasonings’ Gives Back To Sligoville Community - September 7, 2018
- How Technology Has Made The World Smaller By Creating Remote Working Environments - September 4, 2018