Slimmest of Chances For the Reggae Boyz
Jermaine “Tuffy” Anderson came off the bench to salvage a crucial point for the Reggae Boyz scoring in injury time as Jamaica finished 1-1 against Costa Rica in the CONCACAF Hexagonal Round World Cup qualifiers at the National Stadium in Kingston. The Reggae Boyz appeared to lack energy for the majority of the encounter as they came under sustained pressure from the visitors in the first half. Several fantastic saves from goalkeeper Malcolm McCallum kept Jamaica in the contest.
The second half saw the substitution of captain Luton Shelton as Jermaine Beckford spearheaded the attack, but the home side still lacked creativity and any cutting edge. In the 74th minute McCallum turned from saviour to villain when he gave away
possession and Randall Brenes pounced to score. Marlon King was then substituted as Jermaine Anderson was given his debut, and with Jamaica looking to clash out of another World Cup qualifier he scored in injury time to send the supporters who stayed back into celebrations. Costa Rica attempted to reply straight away, but the referee signaled the end of the contest as Jamaica has been given a glimmer of hope.
In other games, the United States Men’s National Team earned their spot in the 2014 FIFA World Cup with a 2-0 win over Mexico in Colombus yesterday. Eddie Johnson and Landon Donovan gave the US the goals to sink Mexico to the brink of missing out on qualification. Panama earned a point with a last-gasp goal from Robert Chen as they drew 2-2 with Honduras. With two more games left, the USA now leads the CONCACAF Hexagonal World Cup qualifiers with 16 points, Costa Rica second on 15, Honduras 11, Panama and Mexico tied on 8 and Jamaica 4.
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.
- Armed Men Wearing Masks Storm Police Station in Clarendon - April 23, 2017
- Blake Upset After Men’s 4×100 Mishap at World Relays - April 23, 2017
- Soldier Suspected of Killing His Father Arrested - April 23, 2017
- Canadian Company Gets Licences to Mine For Gold, Copper in St Catherine - April 22, 2017
- Reggae Boyz to Face Peru in Friendly International - April 22, 2017
- Sports Minister Saddened by Passing of Germaine Mason - April 21, 2017
- 4 Life Sentences For Momymusk Killer - April 21, 2017
- Jamaica Records Highest Easter Weekend Road Fatalities Since 2008 – NRSC - April 20, 2017
- 30 Medals for Jamaica at Carifta Swimming Championships - April 20, 2017
- BREAKING: Jamaican High Jumper Germaine Mason Dies in Motorcycle Crash - April 20, 2017