Gov’t Plans To Set Up Cyber Academy
While speaking at a sectoral debate in Parliament on Tuesday evening (May 15), Technology Minister Dr. Andrew Wheatley announced that the government intends to set up a Cyber Academy that will stand at the forefront of the Caribbean region’s fight against cyber-crime.
Dr. Wheatley said “cyber-crimes and cyber threats have been escalating at an exponential rate globally”.
He added: “Jamaica is no different…in 2016, it’s reported that the country lost over US$100 million to cyber crime activity.
Dr. Wheatley cited the difficulty in finding and retaining experts in the field as a major challenge to efforts aimed at thwarting cyber-crime.
“We must have qualified experts to protect our public and private sector assets. I’ll be asking cabinet next week for its approval of an MOU between the government of Jamaica and Israel Aerospace Industries which will see the creation of the region’s first Cyber Academy.
“This academy will build a professional and cyber-skilled workforce by providing training, practical experience, and most importantly, certification in the areas of cyber security, cyber defense and cyber intelligence”, he added.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Reggae Girlz Train At Montego Bay Sports Complex Today - January 20, 2019
- Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites ‘Mad And Mean’ For Season 14 - January 16, 2019
- Here Is Why 2019 Will Be A Great Year For Tourism In Jamaica - January 15, 2019
- Reggae Boy Peter-Lee Vassell Drafted by Los Angeles FC - January 13, 2019
- Caribbean Food And Drink Festival “Taste The Islands Experience” Returns To Fort Lauderdale—Bigger And Better - January 10, 2019
- Buju Concert Scheduled For March 16th In Jamaica - January 6, 2019
- Ruffi Delivers Again With New Single ‘Pressure’ - January 2, 2019
- PM And Security Experts Meet To Plan Further Anti-Crime Strategies - January 1, 2019
- New Short Film Shines Light On Bob Marley’s Love For Football - December 30, 2018
- Leon Bailey To Be Instructed By New Coach At Bayer Leverkusen - December 26, 2018