Gov’t Plans To Set Up Cyber Academy
While speaking at a sectoral debate in Parliament on Tuesday evening (May 15), Technology Minister Dr. Andrew Wheatley announced that the government intends to set up a Cyber Academy that will stand at the forefront of the Caribbean region’s fight against cyber-crime.
Dr. Wheatley said “cyber-crimes and cyber threats have been escalating at an exponential rate globally”.
He added: “Jamaica is no different…in 2016, it’s reported that the country lost over US$100 million to cyber crime activity.
Dr. Wheatley cited the difficulty in finding and retaining experts in the field as a major challenge to efforts aimed at thwarting cyber-crime.
“We must have qualified experts to protect our public and private sector assets. I’ll be asking cabinet next week for its approval of an MOU between the government of Jamaica and Israel Aerospace Industries which will see the creation of the region’s first Cyber Academy.
“This academy will build a professional and cyber-skilled workforce by providing training, practical experience, and most importantly, certification in the areas of cyber security, cyber defense and cyber intelligence”, he added.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Jamaican Dalton Harris Delivers Incredible Rendition Of Beyonce’s ‘Listen’ On X Factor UK - November 18, 2018
- Stunning Home For Sale In Stonebrook Estate - November 12, 2018
- Jamaican Author Dwight Thompson Delivers Hard-Hitting Coming-Of-Age Tale With Debut Novel - November 11, 2018
- Fly Jamaica Plane Crash Lands In Guyana - November 9, 2018
- Jamaican Visual Artist Maia Chung Has First Solo Exhibition - November 9, 2018
- Two Reggae Girlz Named In CONCACAF Best Eleven - November 6, 2018
- The Ball Is In Bolt’s Court - October 30, 2018
- Ruffi Delivers At South Florida Event - October 27, 2018
- Historic! Jamaica’s Reggae Girlz Qualify For The 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup - October 18, 2018
- Reggae Boy Luton Shelton Afflicted With ALS Disease - October 13, 2018