Gov’t Plans To Set Up Cyber Academy
While speaking at a sectoral debate in Parliament on Tuesday evening (May 15), Technology Minister Dr. Andrew Wheatley announced that the government intends to set up a Cyber Academy that will stand at the forefront of the Caribbean region’s fight against cyber-crime.
Dr. Wheatley said “cyber-crimes and cyber threats have been escalating at an exponential rate globally”.
He added: “Jamaica is no different…in 2016, it’s reported that the country lost over US$100 million to cyber crime activity.
Dr. Wheatley cited the difficulty in finding and retaining experts in the field as a major challenge to efforts aimed at thwarting cyber-crime.
“We must have qualified experts to protect our public and private sector assets. I’ll be asking cabinet next week for its approval of an MOU between the government of Jamaica and Israel Aerospace Industries which will see the creation of the region’s first Cyber Academy.
“This academy will build a professional and cyber-skilled workforce by providing training, practical experience, and most importantly, certification in the areas of cyber security, cyber defense and cyber intelligence”, he added.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 3: Anthony B - March 22, 2019
- Jamaican Players In the MLS - March 18, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 2: Julian Marley - March 12, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 1: Wayne Wonder - March 5, 2019
- Doctors Still Not Able To Diagnose Kemoy Campbell’s Condition - February 25, 2019
- Shaggy And Sting Cop Reggae Grammy - February 11, 2019
- Jamaica Remains 54th in Latest FIFA Rankings - February 8, 2019
- 3 Bedroom Home For Sale In St Thomas - February 5, 2019
- Caribbean Legal And Media Powerhouses Join Forces In South Florida - February 3, 2019
- First National Gallery Representation For Jamaican Visual Artist Maia Chung For 2019 - January 29, 2019