Gov’t Plans To Set Up Cyber Academy
While speaking at a sectoral debate in Parliament on Tuesday evening (May 15), Technology Minister Dr. Andrew Wheatley announced that the government intends to set up a Cyber Academy that will stand at the forefront of the Caribbean region’s fight against cyber-crime.
Dr. Wheatley said “cyber-crimes and cyber threats have been escalating at an exponential rate globally”.
He added: “Jamaica is no different…in 2016, it’s reported that the country lost over US$100 million to cyber crime activity.
Dr. Wheatley cited the difficulty in finding and retaining experts in the field as a major challenge to efforts aimed at thwarting cyber-crime.
“We must have qualified experts to protect our public and private sector assets. I’ll be asking cabinet next week for its approval of an MOU between the government of Jamaica and Israel Aerospace Industries which will see the creation of the region’s first Cyber Academy.
“This academy will build a professional and cyber-skilled workforce by providing training, practical experience, and most importantly, certification in the areas of cyber security, cyber defense and cyber intelligence”, he added.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Jamaica Represented In IDB Development Work - May 26, 2018
- Reggae Boyz Fall Out Of Top 50 In Latest FIFA Rankings - May 26, 2018
- Sean Paul Announces Death Of His Father - May 25, 2018
- Ananda Alert Issued For Missing St Ann Teen - May 24, 2018
- Street Team Win ‘Clash 13’ Of Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites Competition - May 23, 2018
- Ignite IGL Foundation Brings Cheer To Riverton Meadows Early Childhood Centre - May 22, 2018
- Gasoline Retailers Express Concern As Fuel Prices Rise - May 22, 2018
- Security Forces Seize Masks, Firearms In Westmoreland - May 21, 2018
- Gov’t Considers Increasing Ethanol Percentage In Petrol - May 20, 2018
- Bayern Munich Reportedly Make €60 Million Offer For Jamaican Winger Leon Bailey - May 19, 2018