Health Ministry Issues Pink Eye Alert
The Ministry of Health is issuing a caution to members of the public as it has received reports of cases of conjunctivitis, otherwise known as ‘pink eye’, in some communities.
The signs and symptoms of pink eye include redness of eyes; watery eyes itchy and/or burning eyes; grainy feeling in the eyes and hypersensitivity to light.
To avoid being infected:
- Do not share eye makeup; eye drops; wash rags; towels and pillow cases,
- Refrain from coming into contact with persons who have pink eye,
- Wash hands often.
Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Winston De La Haye says, “we are cautioning the public to take preventative steps to decrease their risk of becoming infected with conjunctivitis and urging those who are affected to have their condition managed appropriately by a physician and avoid spreading to others.”
If you are currently experiencing symptoms of pink eye you are being urged to:
- Wash hands with soap and water regularly,
- Avoid rubbing eyes,
- See a doctor,
- Do not attend school, work or other crowded places until infection clears up.
Pink Eye is caused by viruses, which enter the eyes through contaminated:
- Contact lenses
- Other personal items
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- 100 People Killed In First 20 Days Of 2018 - January 22, 2018
- Primary School To Be Renamed For Veronica Campbell Brown - January 22, 2018
- Three Members Of Family Killed In St Thomas - January 21, 2018
- Jamaican Leon Bailey Scores Cheeky Back-Heel Goal For Bayer Leverkusen - January 20, 2018
- Canadian, British Tourists In St James Urged To Stay Within Resorts - January 20, 2018
- Former West Indies Youth Cricketer Of The Year Xavier Marshall To Represent The USA - January 19, 2018
- Major Military Operation In St James - January 18, 2018
- Bolt To Donate $1 Million To Children’s Home Following Deadly Fire - January 17, 2018
- Mobay Man Charged For Quadruple Murder - January 17, 2018
- Jamaica To Send First Women’s Bobsleigh Team To Olympics - January 16, 2018