Health Ministry Issues Pink Eye Alert
The Ministry of Health is issuing a caution to members of the public as it has received reports of cases of conjunctivitis, otherwise known as ‘pink eye’, in some communities.
The signs and symptoms of pink eye include redness of eyes; watery eyes itchy and/or burning eyes; grainy feeling in the eyes and hypersensitivity to light.
To avoid being infected:
- Do not share eye makeup; eye drops; wash rags; towels and pillow cases,
- Refrain from coming into contact with persons who have pink eye,
- Wash hands often.
Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Winston De La Haye says, “we are cautioning the public to take preventative steps to decrease their risk of becoming infected with conjunctivitis and urging those who are affected to have their condition managed appropriately by a physician and avoid spreading to others.”
If you are currently experiencing symptoms of pink eye you are being urged to:
- Wash hands with soap and water regularly,
- Avoid rubbing eyes,
- See a doctor,
- Do not attend school, work or other crowded places until infection clears up.
Pink Eye is caused by viruses, which enter the eyes through contaminated:
- Contact lenses
- Other personal items
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Usain Bolt Scores Twice And Pulls Off Exquisite Nutmeg In Borussia Dortmund Training Session - March 24, 2018
- National Under 15 And Under 18 Table Tennis Squad Scheduled For Caribbean Tournament In Cuba - March 22, 2018
- “I Think We Can” See Bolt At Old Trafford Next Season – José Mourinho - March 22, 2018
- Usain Bolt Scores Superb Header In Borussia Dortmund Kit! - March 21, 2018
- Former England Youth Star Appears Eager To Join Reggae Boyz - March 21, 2018
- Getting De-Inked: Why Jamaicans Are Rethinking Their Tattoos - March 20, 2018
- Jay Z, Beyonce Visit Jamaica - March 20, 2018
- State Of Public Emergency Declared In St. Catherine North Police Division - March 19, 2018
- Plans In Place To Make Port Royal Jamaica’s Next Big Cruise Destination - March 18, 2018
- Jamaican Among Six Killed In Bridge Collapse At Florida University - March 17, 2018