Statue of Usain Bolt Completed
On Wednesday, Sports Minister Olivia Grange revealed that the eight-foot statue of legendary sprinter Usain Bolt, which was commissioned by the Government, has been completed and is now ready to be erected at the Independence Park Complex, which houses the National Stadium.
The statue honours the eight-time Olympic gold medallist, who plans to retire after competing in this summer’s IAAF World Championships.
Bolt will compete in four more events prior to his scheduled retirement — Saturday’s Racers Grand Prix in Kingston, Ostrava on June 28, Monaco on July 21 and the August 4-13 World Championships in London, United Kingston.
“The Usain Bolt statue is ready. The maquette is beautiful, signed off by Usain, coach and NJ. Once they have signed off I know I’m good,” said Minister Grange.
“The maquette will be available for viewing at some time. The statue is ready and will be unveiled hopefully in August,” Minister Grange also stated.
The statue was sculpted by Basil Watson, a leading Jamaican artist and sculptor who has previously sculpted a statue for sports icon Herb McKenley.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- ‘A Lot’ Of Football Clubs Have Contacted Me – Usain Bolt - October 22, 2017
- 2018 FIFA World Cup Dream Still Alive For Jamaica’s Young Reggae Girlz - October 21, 2017
- Prolific Jamaican Striker Dane Kelly Earns Golden Boot Award In USL - October 20, 2017
- 91-Yr-Old Jamaican Man Killed, Wife Injured During Robbery In The US - October 19, 2017
- PM Gives Mount Salem ZOSO ‘B Plus’ Grade - October 19, 2017
- Several High Powered Weapons Seized at Newport West – JCF - October 18, 2017
- Reggae Boy Andre Blake Nominated For MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - October 18, 2017
- PM Declares Denham Town Second Zone of Special Operations - October 17, 2017
- Gunmen Kill Goat Farmer in St Elizabeth - October 17, 2017
- Sangster International Named Caribbean’s Leading Airport – World Travel Awards - October 15, 2017