Statue of Usain Bolt Completed
On Wednesday, Sports Minister Olivia Grange revealed that the eight-foot statue of legendary sprinter Usain Bolt, which was commissioned by the Government, has been completed and is now ready to be erected at the Independence Park Complex, which houses the National Stadium.
The statue honours the eight-time Olympic gold medallist, who plans to retire after competing in this summer’s IAAF World Championships.
Bolt will compete in four more events prior to his scheduled retirement — Saturday’s Racers Grand Prix in Kingston, Ostrava on June 28, Monaco on July 21 and the August 4-13 World Championships in London, United Kingston.
“The Usain Bolt statue is ready. The maquette is beautiful, signed off by Usain, coach and NJ. Once they have signed off I know I’m good,” said Minister Grange.
“The maquette will be available for viewing at some time. The statue is ready and will be unveiled hopefully in August,” Minister Grange also stated.
The statue was sculpted by Basil Watson, a leading Jamaican artist and sculptor who has previously sculpted a statue for sports icon Herb McKenley.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Ninjaman To Be Sentenced Next Monday - December 16, 2017
- Hyundai Motor Launches “Be There With Hyundai” Fan Competition for 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ - December 15, 2017
- Flash Flood Watch Discontinued For Northern Parishes - December 15, 2017
- Chelsea Reportedly Eager To Sign Jamaican Football Star Leon Bailey - December 14, 2017
- D&G Foundation Pumps 4.2 Million Into HEART Trust NTA Youth Development Programme - December 13, 2017
- Dancehall Artiste Mineral Boss Shot Dead In Caymanas Bay - December 13, 2017
- A New T20 Record! The ‘Universe Boss’ Smashes 146 Off 69 Balls (18 Sixes) - December 12, 2017
- Jamaica’s Edmund Bartlett Named Caribbean Tourism Minister of the Year - December 12, 2017
- Three Die After Gunmen Callously Attack Mourners At Funeral In Kingston - December 11, 2017
- Flash Flood Watch In Effect For Northern And Southeastern Parishes - December 11, 2017