“The Zika Virus Will Come to Jamaica” Says Health Minister
The mosquito borne Zika virus has already been in confirmed in several countries including: Brazil, Chile (Easter Island), Colombia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Suriname, the Dominican Republic and Venezuela.
According to Loop Jamaica, Health Minister Horace Dalley, while speaking at a Jamaica Employers Federation (JEF) breakfast event on Thursday, acknowledged that the Ministry of Health does not have the adequate resources to better equip the nation against vector control.
“I am saying to Jamaica: be prepared for the Zika Virus – it will come,” said Minister Dalley.
“I’m going to be very frank, we don’t have enough fogging machines to fog every single community in Jamaica,” Dalley contended.
The minister also pleaded with the general public to take swift action ahead of what could be a quick arrival of another outbreak.
“We as citizens must take the [necessary] precaution[s]. The impact of Chik-V was tremendous last year…let us not go there [again],” he added.
Last year 13 million man hours were lost as a result of a Chik-V (Chikungunya) outbreak, which reportedly led to economic losses of 6 billion dollars.
Source: Loop Jamaica
- Reggae Boyz Take On Antigua Next Month - February 28, 2018
- Vybz Kartel Reportedly Transferred to Maximum Security Tower Street Prison - November 16, 2016
- Peter Tosh Museum Opens Today - October 19, 2016
- Bolt Returns to The Ellen Show, Talks Marriage, Rio - September 28, 2016
- The Alpha Boys’ School Puts Its Gift Shop Online In An Effort to Raise Funds - June 1, 2016
- “The Zika Virus Will Come to Jamaica” Says Health Minister - December 17, 2015
- Easy Breezy! Fraser-Pryce Comfortably Wins 100m Semi-Final at World Championships - August 24, 2015
- Jamaica has the Samsung Galaxy S5 Fever! - September 12, 2014
- You probably didn’t know this tasty beverage was invented in Jamaica - July 2, 2014
- 10 reasons why you should get a Samsung S5 - May 30, 2014