Jamaica to Brace for Major Earthquake Warns Seismic Specialist
Jamaican authorities have been cautioned by an American seismic expert to make preparations for a major earthquake to impact the island.
Geophysics professor Eric Calais of Purdue University pleaded with the country’s government to take the threat seriously based on the area’s history and active seismic activity.
The professor stated that most scientists are in agreement that it is highly probable that Jamaica will experience an earthquake with a magnitude of 7 or 7.5 on the Richter scale.
Earthquakes of magnitude 7 on the Richter scale are considered “major” and are capable of catastrophic damage to infrastructure.
In 1907 Kingston was destroyed by magnitude 6.5 earthquake. Jamaica could incur a loss of about a half of the island’s gross domestic product if we were to experience a magnitude 7 quake according to researchers from the University of the West Indies.
“A 6.5 in the harbour by the capital could be a tremendous threat,” said Calais whilst visiting Port Royal, just outside of Kingston.
Calais’ warnings are being heeded by many as he was one of the scientists who warned Haiti that their country was ripe for a major earthquake in March of 2008.
Two years later the country was devastated by a deadly 7.0 quake killing some 316,000 people and leaving many more homeless.
Jamaica sits on the same seismically-active plate boundary as Haiti and is impacted by about 200 minor earthquakes per year.
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.
- Japanese Finalist On Magnum Kings and Queens of Dancehall Says She Received “Many Racist Comments” - May 29, 2017
- Elderly Jamaican-Born Woman Scammed Out Of Life Savings in New York - May 29, 2017
- Fatal Shootings By Police Increase By 45% - May 29, 2017
- Munga Charged With Murder - May 28, 2017
- Elaine Thompson Finishes Third In 200m At Eugene Diamond League - May 28, 2017
- Mother, Son Killed in Hanover - May 27, 2017
- 8 Jamaican Youngsters Receive Medical Scholarships From Cuba - May 27, 2017
- Life Sentences For Jamaican-Born DC Sniper Thrown Out - May 26, 2017
- 23-Yr-Old Man Allegedly Killed By Girlfriend in St Ann - May 26, 2017
- JPS Seeks Electricity Rate Increase - May 26, 2017