Jamaica to Brace for Major Earthquake Warns Seismic Specialist
Jamaican authorities have been cautioned by an American seismic expert to make preparations for a major earthquake to impact the island.
Geophysics professor Eric Calais of Purdue University pleaded with the country’s government to take the threat seriously based on the area’s history and active seismic activity.
The professor stated that most scientists are in agreement that it is highly probable that Jamaica will experience an earthquake with a magnitude of 7 or 7.5 on the Richter scale.
Earthquakes of magnitude 7 on the Richter scale are considered “major” and are capable of catastrophic damage to infrastructure.
In 1907 Kingston was destroyed by magnitude 6.5 earthquake. Jamaica could incur a loss of about a half of the island’s gross domestic product if we were to experience a magnitude 7 quake according to researchers from the University of the West Indies.
“A 6.5 in the harbour by the capital could be a tremendous threat,” said Calais whilst visiting Port Royal, just outside of Kingston.
Calais’ warnings are being heeded by many as he was one of the scientists who warned Haiti that their country was ripe for a major earthquake in March of 2008.
Two years later the country was devastated by a deadly 7.0 quake killing some 316,000 people and leaving many more homeless.
Jamaica sits on the same seismically-active plate boundary as Haiti and is impacted by about 200 minor earthquakes per year.
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically. Share buttons are below:
- Jamaican Life – Church Time! - April 26, 2015
- Jamaican Passport Among the Least Valuable in the Caribbean - April 25, 2015
- Decomposing Body of 12-Yr-Old Girl Found in Bushes - April 25, 2015
- Shaggy Makes History on The Tonight Show with “Shaggy Off” (Video) - April 24, 2015
- Bolt Blasts Tyson Gay, Says He Should Have Received Lifetime Ban - April 24, 2015
- Police Seek Jamaican Man After Gay Teen is Brutally Murdered in St Lucia - April 23, 2015
- Government Could Get Millions from Dormant Bank Accounts - April 23, 2015
- Jamaican Terror Suspect to Be Taken to Place of Safety - April 22, 2015
- Miguel Lorne Describes Chronnix’s Controversial ‘Waste Man’ Statement as “Beautiful” - April 21, 2015
- Mexican Firm Now Has Majority Stake in Sangster International Airport (MBJ) - April 21, 2015