Enforce Child Sex Abuse Laws In Jamaica!
In high school I had a friend. We were the same age, about 13 in the 1st form.
One day she invited me to her house – somewhere up in Stony Hill. It was a quiet and secluded little neighborhood.
After arriving at her house, she introduced me to her mother. They lived in a little shack away from civilisation. There was a man sitting on the outside of the house but she didn’t introduce me to him.
I surmised that he was her mother’s companion, perhaps my friend’s stepfather. He was an older man, bearded, wearing tattered clothing smoking a spliff. I guessed he was in his 40’s. He didn’t say anything the entire time.
Later, as she was walking me to the bus stop, I asked about the man. She reluctantly told me that he was her boyfriend. He lived there. Her mother knew that they were having a sexual relationship in the house.
That was when I discovered that this was a part of our culture – a mother will openly allow a man to live in her house and sleep with her under-aged daughter. I didn’t say a word to anyone about it and never asked her about it after that.
A 15-year-old girl was recently shot in the face by her so-called boyfriend and I believe the police and child services should hold the mom accountable. I’d say child endangerment. I strongly believe the mom was aware of and condoned her daughter’s relationship with the lowlife that killed her. He was living allegedly at their house part-time.
Mothers in Jamaica have been ‘putting out’ their young daughters to men for a long time. It is time to break the cycle and the authorities should hold parents accountable when the children end up dead as a result of this ‘pimping’ weh a gwaan. Children sometimes make bad decisions, but that’s why they have parents to guide them.
Check out this short film below from Al Jazeera:
By Natalee Stack
CLICK HERE to check out her Book “Tough Jamaica”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Raise Your Hand If You Are Black And Have Experienced Colourism 🖐🤔 - October 28, 2018
- The Measure Of Any Society Is How It Treats Its Women And Girls - October 27, 2018
- We Are Failing Our Children - January 14, 2018
- Is There A Serial Killer Targeting Women In St Catherine? - December 26, 2017
- Enforce Child Sex Abuse Laws In Jamaica! - December 24, 2017
- How I Think NIDS Came Into Being - December 7, 2017
- Import Wisely – Don’t Blame The Customs Officers! - October 13, 2017
- “Machete Mom” Is A Demonstration Of A Larger Problem In Jamaica - October 4, 2017
- What Role Are Women In Jamaica Playing To Help Stem Violence Against Them? - August 23, 2017
- Why are Jamaicans so Accepting of Barbaric Behaviour? - February 3, 2017