Jamaicans Fall Victim to ‘Wangiri’ Telephone Scam
A type of phone scam that typically involves the use of autodiallers to make short-duration calls is becoming more prominent in Jamaica.
The calls are oftentimes made to mobile devices, leaving a missed call number with the aim being for prospective victims to return the call. When the calls are returned, victims are generally billed at outrages rates or hear advertising messages.
This type of fraud is known as Wangiri (literally, “One (ring) and cut”) and is said to have originated in Japan.
Over the weekend, phone users in Jamaica took to social media to complain about losing credit after returning calls to foreign numbers with a Polish area code (+48).
Digicel Jamaica has already released a public advisory on the issue stating:
“Digicel has been blocking some overseas phone numbers involved in a one-ring scam to some customers. While we continue to monitor this type of activity coming out of Poland, we advise customers to be on the alert. Do not return these unwanted one-ring calls from unfamiliar country codes that could result in hefty charges. “
“Customers are also advised that in the event they accept these calls, they should hang up quickly, do not share personal information and ignore instructions to enter a number.”
“Digicel is serious about protecting customers from telecommunications fraud and we will work together with customers to fight it.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Bolt Wins 100m Diamond League Sprint Ahead Of World Championships - July 21, 2017
- High-Powered Weapons, Over 4000 Rounds Ammunition Found At Wharves - July 21, 2017
- Prominent Montego Bay Businessman Shot Dead By Gunman - July 20, 2017
- Gunmen Open Fire On Denham Town Police Station - July 19, 2017
- Bolt, Omar McLeod to Face Off In Monaco - July 19, 2017
- Jamaican Doctor Dies In Cayman After Being Struck By Taxi - July 18, 2017
- Red Stripe Bikers Rollout: Red Stripe Implores Motorcyclists to Drive Responsibly - July 18, 2017
- Former Politician Shot Dead After Allegedly Killing Woman In St Elizabeth - July 18, 2017
- Tanya Stephens: Miss Lou “Didn’t Liberate Me” – (VIDEO) - July 17, 2017
- You May Have Played in the Caribbean in Assassin’s Creed – But Do You Know These Other Games? - July 17, 2017