Jamaicans Fall Victim to ‘Wangiri’ Telephone Scam
A type of phone scam that typically involves the use of autodiallers to make short-duration calls is becoming more prominent in Jamaica.
The calls are oftentimes made to mobile devices, leaving a missed call number with the aim being for prospective victims to return the call. When the calls are returned, victims are generally billed at outrages rates or hear advertising messages.
This type of fraud is known as Wangiri (literally, “One (ring) and cut”) and is said to have originated in Japan.
Over the weekend, phone users in Jamaica took to social media to complain about losing credit after returning calls to foreign numbers with a Polish area code (+48).
Digicel Jamaica has already released a public advisory on the issue stating:
“Digicel has been blocking some overseas phone numbers involved in a one-ring scam to some customers. While we continue to monitor this type of activity coming out of Poland, we advise customers to be on the alert. Do not return these unwanted one-ring calls from unfamiliar country codes that could result in hefty charges. “
“Customers are also advised that in the event they accept these calls, they should hang up quickly, do not share personal information and ignore instructions to enter a number.”
“Digicel is serious about protecting customers from telecommunications fraud and we will work together with customers to fight it.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Woman Hides Her Face With Comical Emoji Mask When Collecting Lottery Winnings - June 17, 2018
- Teenaged Boy Charged For Cassava Piece Murder – JCF - June 16, 2018
- 7-Yr-Old Boy Dies In Tragic Freak Accident At School - June 14, 2018
- Pharmaceutical Society Of Jamaica Expresses Concern About Counterfeit Medicines - June 13, 2018
- Statue of Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Now In Jamaica - June 13, 2018
- Usain Bolt’s Superb Goal Disallowed In Football Game At Old Trafford - June 12, 2018
- Wayne Marshall Announces Death Of His Father In Touching Social Media Post - June 11, 2018
- Fraser-Pryce Wins 100-Metre Event At Racers Grand Prix - June 10, 2018
- Prime Minister Makes Historic Appearance At G7 Summit! - June 9, 2018
- Shelly-Ann Fraser Pryce Is Back On Track At The JN Racers Grand Prix Live On 1spotmedia Pay- Per- View - June 8, 2018