Man arrested for ganja spliff dies from injuries received at Police Station

A man who was taken into custody at the Barnett Street Police Station in Montego for a ganja spliff has succumbed to injuries he received while he was being detained there.

According to a report by the Gleaner,Mario Deane of Rosemount in Montego Bay was unconscious for three days, battling for his life at the Cornwall Regional Hospital after suffering from serious head injuries he received at the Barnett Street Police Station in Montego Bay just hours after he was arrested for a ganja spliff on Sunday morning.

Marcia Frazer, the mother of the young man told The Gleaner yesterday that doctors at the Cornwall Regional Hospital said Deane suffered multiple brain injuries.

Mario Deane arrested for ganja spliff Mobay killed in police stationUp to the time of his death, he never regained consciousness.

“He had a terrible chop over his left eye, one on the top of his head, mark on his left arm, bruise under his chin. Face was swollen, eyes swollen that you couldn’t see his eyelash. His head has grown twice the size it was before he was beaten,” said Frazer.

According to the report, police officers told family members of the young man that he was beaten by cellmates but gave doctors a different story telling them he fell off a bunk bed.

Sergeant Peter Salkey, the liaison officer for the police’s Constabulary Communications Unit in St James, was contacted and stated “We are aware of the incident and there is an ongoing investigation by both the CIB and INDECOM.”

Source

Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.

Andrédesignz Young

He is my next door neighbor, and I am telling you, he doesn’t trouble people, whenever I see him he is always walking alone. He doesn’t it on the road and smoke or beg. He works hard for his money. I understand that if you are on your way to work, and my any chance police stopped you and find a ganja spliff, sure, charge me. It’s not legal (no more than $100)… BUT!!!!! If you are going to beat me up because I make a statement that I don’t like a certain police, you have NOOOOO right to lock… Read more »

McDonald Kendra

I really hope to God that the shithouse dem pay for taking this young man’s life.

Rohan Chico Bennett

A hope INDECOM speed up their investigations and those who are responsible be held and punish to the fullest extent of the law dem too damn out of orda

Garfield Taylor

Its a wonder they didn’t say that he was trying to run into nearby bushes!!! Fiah fi dem!!!!

Khamilli Wedastreets

When Jamaican police claim seh dem doing “further investigating” a deh suh it done nuthin nah come out a it, the system fvck up nobody inna the higher government nah guh pressure them them can do weh dem want wid the investigation, man deh a jail Fi all 20yrs an him a old murderer and fi a spliff dis yah man yah suffer and dead

Yvonne Morrison

This is a disgrace to the Jamaican society. It a gwam long time. Is time someone pays for their uncanny and disrespectful behaviour of the citizens of this country. Condolence to the family. It could be my son!!!

Yvonne Morrison

Danville Cousins

What justice? There’s no justice r laws in this country.we have some real fools leading z country

Primrose Thompson

cruelty

Primrose Thompson

cruelty

Michelle Masters

What goes aoround comes around officers…God DONT sleep…fi unnu time ah come tu…if that person ws in anyway related tu mi unnuh woulda affi kill mi tu… mi woulda neva call a police fi help…dat is a lesson mi learn personally and mi nuh like nuh police…none nuh betta dan none!

Charmaine Gooden

I am fr mantego bay an its disscussing to see how the police them deal wed the young u them its a big disrespect like them no human been not because u work with the law ,,,,that dont give them the right to abuse people boy pickney like them never did young to…..And them a do worst then a ganja split ….a them mek people no like them ,,,,,CURELY

Kesh Anewme Scott

I doubt this was done by inmates. A thorough investigation MUST be done and all involved must be brought to justice. #SAD

Charlene Clunie-Brown

SMH. Story like this makes me sad about this country and our law enforcers, what the hell is happening in this place?

Maureen Stanley Sang

Absolutely difficult to digest this.

Tanisha Hemmings Thompson

Jamaican police need to wake up oa smile the coffee can u really do u own people this way?do u people have brother r father r son?

Tanisha Hemmings Thompson

Veronica Cousins

Omg these cops!!! What is wrong with them. This is some of the thing they do y people don’t like r care for them when things happen to them but it shouldnt

Veronica Cousins

Novelette Whyte

have mercy, you want to tell me that there’s no freedom of speech in our little country Jamaica land we love???????. all of us at times made the comment that we do not like someone, like our kids, our ,bosses, our friends you name it!!!!!!!!!!!!! so how the hell a simple statement as that could have caused the young man’s life. he was caught with something illegal ok charge him!!!!!!! why did they take the law in theirs hand and beat the young man to death.my condolences goes out to the family. as the bible states vengeance is mine i… Read more »

Andrédesignz Young

cruelty

Novelette Whyte

Veronica Cousins

Charlene Clunie-Brown

Tamu Sahkmet

Maureen Stanley Sang

Absolutely difficult to digest this.

Tanisha Hemmings Thompson