Nicholson Back On Target In Europa League
Jamaican’s strike not enough to save Slovenian side from European exit
Shamar Nicholson, Jamaica’s hot-shot with two goals in the recent CONCACAF Gold Cup, continued his scoring streak in the Europa League on Thursday (Aug 1).
But the 22-year-old striker was on the losing side for his Slovenian club NZ Domžale, who were narrowly beaten by hosts Malmö FF in their Europa League 2nd Qualifying Round second leg 3-2.
The Kingston-born ace, like last week’s first leg, broke the deadlock. He was on target in Sweden after 12 minutes, but the teams entered half-time at 2-2 that made the tie 4-4 on aggregate.
After the turnaround Nicholson’s side conceded another goal on 83 minutes, which delivered the knockout blow in Europe’s second most prestigious competition behind the Champions League.
Nicholson, an ex-Boys Town FC star from Jamaica’s Red Stripe Premier League, moved to European outfit Domžale two years ago. And he has certainly hit a purple patch by banging in the goals for both club and country.
Nicholson broke his international duck by baggiing the winner in Jamaica’s 1-0 friendly success over hosts United States in June. And he was twice on target in the Gold Cup, scoring in the 1-1 stalemate against minnows Curaçao then bagging for the Boyz in their semi-final 3-1 defeat to the US.
Although Jamaica’s head coach Theodore Whitmore unearthed the 6’4″ dangerman back in February 2017, it has only been this year that Nicholson has been prolific.
If he can keep scoring at his current rate then will no doubt be a fans favourite and a nightmare for defenders when he returns for the Boyz and their Nations League campaign.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Ricketts Blasts Morgan’s Reggae Boyz Future - August 21, 2019
- Whitmore Gets Defensive Over Reggae Boyz - August 15, 2019
- Shooting Star Nicholson Moves To Belgium Top-Tier - August 14, 2019
- East Signals His Worth To Jamaica - August 2, 2019
- Nicholson Back On Target In Europa League - August 1, 2019
- Jamaica Hitman Nicholson Breaks Europa Cup Duck - July 26, 2019
- Jamaica Climb Slowly Up FIFA Rankings - July 25, 2019
- Duckie Under Fire Ahead Of Tackling Pan-Am Games - July 24, 2019
- Young Reggae Boyz Whimper Out Of Olympic Qualifiers - July 22, 2019
- U23 Reggae Boyz Held In Olympic Qualifier - July 18, 2019