Jamaica Move Up FIFA World Rankings
Reggae Boyz edge closer to becoming a top 50 hit
Theodore Whitmore’s Reggae Boyz, who tackled highly-rated Honduras last night, have climbed two places to world no.54 in the latest FIFA rankings.
Jamaica’s head coach Whitmore masterminded a shock 1-0 defeat earlier this month on hosts USA – only their third victory over their near neighbours – but their FIFA ranking surprisingly did not elevate them into the world’s top 50.
With the Boyz registered a 3-2 win over Honduras at Kingston’s National Stadium in their opening group game of the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
Jamaica are the leading team in the Caribbean, ahead of Curaçao (world no.79). And the Boyz lie fourth in the CONCACAF region, trailing Mexico (no.18), USA (no.30) and Costa Rica (no.39).
Jamaica’s highest FIFA ranking was world no.27 back in August 1998, when Whitmore was a stalwart on the pitch.
If they are to reach such lofty heights again then Whitmore has to get the most out of his troops, boasted by the presence of midfield newcomer Leon Bailey, and continue their remarkable record at the Gold Cup.
Jamaica finished runner-up in their past two biennial Gold Cup tournaments, with Whitmore steering the Boyz past Mexico in the 2017 semi-final before succumbing to the United States.
FIFA’s top 10 teams comprises Belgium, France, Brazil, England, Portugal, Croatia, Spain, Uruguay, Switzerland and Denmark.
Realistically the Boyz are unlikely to ever be a top 10 hit, but signs are there that they have the rhythm and panache to be a force to be reckoned with and Whitmore will undoubtedly be urging Jamaica to reach the top 30 over the next 18 months.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Nicholson At The Double As Reggae Boyz Hit Six - September 7, 2019
- Nicholson Hits Sizzler On RCSC Debut - September 1, 2019
- Burke To Tackle Nations League Games - August 30, 2019
- Brits on Reggae Boyz’ Radar For Nations League - August 29, 2019
- Shaw Kicks Off European Pro Debut With A Brace - August 27, 2019
- Burke Back In Business With Boyz - August 27, 2019
- Jamaica Wannabe Morrison Reunites With Pogba - August 25, 2019
- Ricketts Blasts Morgan’s Reggae Boyz Future - August 21, 2019
- Whitmore Gets Defensive Over Reggae Boyz - August 15, 2019
- Shooting Star Nicholson Moves To Belgium Top-Tier - August 14, 2019