Jamaica Move Up FIFA World Rankings
Reggae Boyz edge closer to becoming a top 50 hit
Theodore Whitmore’s Reggae Boyz, who tackled highly-rated Honduras last night, have climbed two places to world no.54 in the latest FIFA rankings.
Jamaica’s head coach Whitmore masterminded a shock 1-0 defeat earlier this month on hosts USA – only their third victory over their near neighbours – but their FIFA ranking surprisingly did not elevate them into the world’s top 50.
With the Boyz registered a 3-2 win over Honduras at Kingston’s National Stadium in their opening group game of the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
Jamaica are the leading team in the Caribbean, ahead of Curaçao (world no.79). And the Boyz lie fourth in the CONCACAF region, trailing Mexico (no.18), USA (no.30) and Costa Rica (no.39).
Jamaica’s highest FIFA ranking was world no.27 back in August 1998, when Whitmore was a stalwart on the pitch.
If they are to reach such lofty heights again then Whitmore has to get the most out of his troops, boasted by the presence of midfield newcomer Leon Bailey, and continue their remarkable record at the Gold Cup.
Jamaica finished runner-up in their past two biennial Gold Cup tournaments, with Whitmore steering the Boyz past Mexico in the 2017 semi-final before succumbing to the United States.
FIFA’s top 10 teams comprises Belgium, France, Brazil, England, Portugal, Croatia, Spain, Uruguay, Switzerland and Denmark.
Realistically the Boyz are unlikely to ever be a top 10 hit, but signs are there that they have the rhythm and panache to be a force to be reckoned with and Whitmore will undoubtedly be urging Jamaica to reach the top 30 over the next 18 months.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Actress With Jamaican Descent Rumoured To Be Next 007 - July 15, 2019
- Italian Job On Offer For Bailey - July 15, 2019
- Jamaica Wannabe On Brink Of English Premier League Contract - July 13, 2019
- Bolt Steps Into Music Arena With Producer Cousin - July 11, 2019
- Nations League Call-Up Is Goal For Flemmings And Lambert - July 10, 2019
- Jamaica’s Gold Cup Glory Hunt Ends - July 4, 2019
- Morrison Joins Sheffield United On Trial - July 2, 2019
- Morrison Ups His Fitness To Stay On Reggae Boyz’ Radar - July 1, 2019
- Supersub Mattocks Makes Panama Pay The Penalty - June 30, 2019
- Reggae Boyz Hold On Against Courageous Curaçao - June 26, 2019