National Stadium To Host Gold Cup Ties
Ground-breaking move by CONCACAF boasts Jamaica
Theodore Whitmore, the Jamaica head coach, will make history when he leads his Reggae Boyz into this summer’s CONCACAF Gold Cup with a match on home soil.
The prestigious tournament, which has seen the Boyz finish runner-up in the past two events, has seen Kingston selected to host a pair of opening round games.
The National Stadium – formerly known as “The Office” when Jamaica were virtually unbeatable at home – is set to host a feast of Gold Cup football with a double-header on 17 June. The Group C ties will feature both Honduras in one contest and hosts Jamaica in another.
History will be made as this will be the first time that the tournament’s matches have been played on Caribbean soil.
And the lucrative biennial Gold Cup competition expands by four teams to 16 sides this year.
The Gold Cup kicks off on 15 June in Costa Rica with the final played on 7 July at Soldier Field in Chicago, USA.
As well as being a showpiece for the Caribbean and giving Jamaica the chance to prove that it is more than capable of hosting International games for a major competition, CONCACAF will be footing the bill for the staging of what will be deemed the Jamaican leg of Gold Cup.
President Victor Montagliani said: “Hosting our premier competition in Jamaica for the first time is an extraordinary opportunity to promote the very best of the game in the Caribbean.”
Whitmore now needs to reassess his squad, dust down his has beens and inject much-needed new talent so that the fans have something to gleefully cheer and lift the mood following the Boyz’ recent dismal displays.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Reggae Boyz Handed Honduras Home Tie In Gold Cup - April 11, 2019
- National Stadium To Host Gold Cup Ties - April 9, 2019
- Struggling QPR Eye Up Former Reggae Boy - April 4, 2019
- Bond Will Be Back In Jamaica - March 31, 2019
- Reggae Boyz Drawn In Group C Of CONCACAF Nations League - March 30, 2019
- Much-Changed Reggae Boyz Narrowly Beaten In Costa Rica - March 27, 2019
- Jamaican Schoolboys To Tackle Stoke City Academy - March 26, 2019
- Top 10 Hit For Jamaica To Bag Gold Cup Berth - March 25, 2019
- Nations League Progress In Balance After Reggae Boyz Reversal In El Salvador - March 24, 2019
- Wes Morgan Pens Deal To Stay At Leicester City - March 22, 2019