Much-Changed Reggae Boyz Narrowly Beaten In Costa Rica
Second defeat on the road for the Boyz
Maalique Foster delivered a standout performance as Jamaica suffered a slender 1-0 defeat at the hands of hosts Costa Rica on Tuesday.
The 22-year-old winger was arguably the shining star for a much-changed Jamaican line-up following their dismal weekend reversal in El Salvador.
But despite a more steady team performance from Theodore Whitmore’s Reggae Boyz, it was another blank in front of goal, after Saturday’s disappointing 2-0 CONCACAF Nations League loss.
Keysher Fuller converted Joel Campbell’s pass on the half-hour mark to send the 10,000-strong crowd wild inside the National Stadium in San José.
And Fuller almost turned from hero to villain when he was beaten by the speed of Foster on 67 minutes, but keeper Keylor Navas calmly snuffed out the danger.
Foster, on loan with US outfit RGV Toros from Costa Rican club Liga Deportiva Alajuelense, was soon substituted much to the relief of the hosts but to the disappointment of the home fans who applauded the player that they have affectionately nicknamed “the Jamaican Messi”.
Jamaica head coach Whitmore returns to the island with disappointing back-to-back away games with two defeats and no sign of a goal, leaving a real headache ahead of this summer’s Gold Cup.
In contrast Costa Rica, one of the co-hosts for the prestigious biennial tournament, are in a transitional stage and were rewarded for their resilience against the Boyz with their first home triumph under coach Gustavo Matosas.
Whitmore needs to be more daring with his future squad selections if he wants to set realistic goals of his Boyz emulating their previous Gold Cup successes, having finished runner-up in the past two competitions. And adding the guile of Foster should kick-off new ambitions for Jamaica.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Jamaica Break Into Top 50 In World Cup Bid - September 20, 2019
- Nicholson At The Double As Reggae Boyz Hit Six - September 7, 2019
- Nicholson Hits Sizzler On RCSC Debut - September 1, 2019
- Burke To Tackle Nations League Games - August 30, 2019
- Brits on Reggae Boyz’ Radar For Nations League - August 29, 2019
- Shaw Kicks Off European Pro Debut With A Brace - August 27, 2019
- Burke Back In Business With Boyz - August 27, 2019
- Jamaica Wannabe Morrison Reunites With Pogba - August 25, 2019
- Ricketts Blasts Morgan’s Reggae Boyz Future - August 21, 2019
- Whitmore Gets Defensive Over Reggae Boyz - August 15, 2019