Jamaica Miss Out On Top 50 To Kick-Off 2019
Reggae Boyz slip down FIFA rankings despite hat-trick of triumphs
Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz are disappointed to have narrowly missed out on finishing the year in FIFA’s top 50.
Coach Theodore Whitmore had guided his troops to three CONCACAF Nations League qualifying wins on the bounce, yet his side has tumbled three places this month to world no.54.
The Boyz, who hold a perfect record in the newly-devised competition, lie fifth in the CONCACAF tables and are one of only half-a-dozen teams to go unbeaten.
Although Jamaica have yet to play a side of any significance in the tournament, they have conceded just one goal and scored 11.
Their last outing was November’s cagey 2-1 success over Suriname in Montego Bay. They kicked off their campaign in September with a 4-0 win over neighbouring Cayman Islands, then thumped Bonaire 6-0 in October.
The Boyz have yet to be firing on all cylinders and will be hoping to seal their place in the next round when they tackle hosts El Salvador in March.
The Boyz lie fourth among the CONCACAF teams, trailing Mexico (world no.17), USA (25) and Costa Rica (26).
Four other CONCACAF sides are within the world’s top 100, namely Honduras (62), El Salvador (70), Panama (71) and Trinidad & Tobago (92).
Belgium end the year as the top-ranked team, pipping World Cup winners France (2), Brazil (3), Croatia (4) and England (5).
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Moore Pays Price For Being Off Pace For Automatic Promotion - March 10, 2019
- Bustling Bailey’s Back On Scoresheet - March 4, 2019
- Whitmore Runs Eye Over Jamaica’s Cream Of Talent - February 20, 2019
- Bailey’s Back On Target In Germany - February 18, 2019
- Morrison Makes Move To Scandinavia - February 16, 2019
- Bailey Seemingly Happy To Play International Waiting Game - February 15, 2019
- Love And Romance Tips From Love Doctor Monti - February 13, 2019
- Morrison On Jamaica’s Wanted List To Tackle El Salvador - February 12, 2019
- Bailey’s Blast Ends Personal Goal Drought - February 3, 2019
- Bolt Launches His Own Brand Of Champagne With Jamaican-Style Taste - January 25, 2019