Reggae Boy Luton Shelton Afflicted With ALS Disease
Jamaica’s all-time leading goalscorer Luton Shelton is currently battling Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), or Lou Gehrig’s disease.
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as motor neurone disease (MND), or Lou Gehrig’s disease, is a specific disease which causes the death of neurons controlling voluntary muscles.
ALS is characterized by stiff muscles, muscle twitching, and gradually worsening weakness due to muscles decreasing in size.
This results in difficulty speaking, swallowing, and eventually breathing.
Shelton reportedly received his life changing ALS diagnosis 19 months after he got injured while representing Harbour View Football Club in a Red Stripe Premier League game against Tivoli Gardens at the National Stadium.
Shelton first came to prominence after making his debut as an 18-year-old for Harbour View FC in Jamaica’s top tier, before he spent a season in Sweden.
Following his stint at Sheffield United he went on to represent Norwegian club Vålerenga then Turkish teams Karabükspor and Volga Nizhny Novgorod. He returned to Harbour View FC in 2017 but then he fell ill.
Shelton made his international debut for Jamaica in 2004, and earned 75 caps, scoring a record 35 goals.He also played at three CONCACAF Gold Cups.
The average life expectancy of a person with ALS is two to five years from the time of diagnosis.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- US-Born Citizen Nearly Deported To Jamaica - December 7, 2018
- First Solo Art Exhibition For Maia Chung At Reggae Mill - December 4, 2018
- Dalton Harris Wins The X Factor - December 2, 2018
- Reggae Music Added To Global Cultural Heritage List - December 1, 2018
- Jamaican Dalton Harris Advances To X Factor Finals - November 26, 2018
- NRSC Commends Government On Passing Of Road Traffic Act 2018 - November 23, 2018
- Jamaica Defeats USA To Qualify For Rugby League World Cup - November 21, 2018
- Jamaican Dalton Harris Delivers Incredible Rendition Of Beyonce’s ‘Listen’ On X Factor UK - November 18, 2018
- Stunning Furnished Home For RENT In Stonebrook Estate - November 12, 2018
- Jamaican Author Dwight Thompson Delivers Hard-Hitting Coming-Of-Age Tale With Debut Novel - November 11, 2018