Foreign Exchange: J$135.46 To One US Dollar
On Friday, August 3 the US dollar ended trading at J$135.46 down by 7 cents according to the Bank of Jamaica’s daily foreign exchange trading summary.
The Canadian dollar ended trading at J$105.25 up from J$105.15 while the British pound sterling ended trading at J$174.97 up from J$174.78.
The sliding dollar has in recent times prompted assertions that the Bank of Jamaica (BOJ) is manipulating the foreign exchange rate.
Earlier this week, Mark Golding, Opposition Spokesman on Finance, vocalised his concerns about the BOJ buying US dollars at high rates, which could potentially place added pressure on the local currency.
However, BOJ Governor Brian Wynter responded on Friday, saying that enough though it is true that the bank is the US currency, it is wrong to describe the situation as the Bank of Jamaica driving the rate up.
The Parliamentary Opposition is among several groups that have recently expressed concern regarding the depreciation of the Jamaican dollar against the US currency.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- More Casinos To Boost Tourism In Jamaica? - September 19, 2018
- Isaac Dissipates - September 15, 2018
- Isaac To Hit Lesser Antilles, Not Currently A Threat To Jamaica - September 12, 2018
- Ideal Selections For Your BTTS Tips - September 10, 2018
- ‘Nick’s Seasonings’ Gives Back To Sligoville Community - September 7, 2018
- How Technology Has Made The World Smaller By Creating Remote Working Environments - September 4, 2018
- “Oh What A Finish!” Leon Bailey Scores Cracker For Leverkusen - September 3, 2018
- Elderly Jamaican Man Arrested In Florida After Setting Fire To Raccoon Which Ate His Mangoes - August 30, 2018
- Chas. E. Ramson Limited. Cushions Infant Care Costs With ‘Kiss Baby’ Diaper Donations - August 26, 2018
- JCDC, Patrick Kitson Launch Dual Art Exhibition In Kingston - August 14, 2018