Foreign Exchange: J$135.46 To One US Dollar
On Friday, August 3 the US dollar ended trading at J$135.46 down by 7 cents according to the Bank of Jamaica’s daily foreign exchange trading summary.
The Canadian dollar ended trading at J$105.25 up from J$105.15 while the British pound sterling ended trading at J$174.97 up from J$174.78.
The sliding dollar has in recent times prompted assertions that the Bank of Jamaica (BOJ) is manipulating the foreign exchange rate.
Earlier this week, Mark Golding, Opposition Spokesman on Finance, vocalised his concerns about the BOJ buying US dollars at high rates, which could potentially place added pressure on the local currency.
However, BOJ Governor Brian Wynter responded on Friday, saying that enough though it is true that the bank is the US currency, it is wrong to describe the situation as the Bank of Jamaica driving the rate up.
The Parliamentary Opposition is among several groups that have recently expressed concern regarding the depreciation of the Jamaican dollar against the US currency.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Kai, 10 Launches Her Kits To Keep Kids Clean And Healthy - August 13, 2019
- Leon Bailey Scores In 26 Seconds For Bayer Leverkusen! - August 11, 2019
- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Breaks Pan-Am 200m Record! - August 10, 2019
- Phoenix All Stars Football Academy Creates History In Belgium! - August 8, 2019
- U23 Reggae Boyz Defeat Peru - August 7, 2019
- Bailey On Target For Bayer In Pre-Season Friendly - July 31, 2019
- Artwork By Jamaican Visual Artist Maia Chung Chosen For Honour And Publication In Japan - July 19, 2019
- Jamaica’s Briana Williams Becomes NACAC 100m Champion - July 9, 2019
- Ruffi Scores Big With Hot New Single Holiday (VIDEO) - June 29, 2019
- Reggae Girlz Take On Scotland Today! - May 28, 2019