Foreign Exchange: J$135.46 To One US Dollar
On Friday, August 3 the US dollar ended trading at J$135.46 down by 7 cents according to the Bank of Jamaica’s daily foreign exchange trading summary.
The Canadian dollar ended trading at J$105.25 up from J$105.15 while the British pound sterling ended trading at J$174.97 up from J$174.78.
The sliding dollar has in recent times prompted assertions that the Bank of Jamaica (BOJ) is manipulating the foreign exchange rate.
Earlier this week, Mark Golding, Opposition Spokesman on Finance, vocalised his concerns about the BOJ buying US dollars at high rates, which could potentially place added pressure on the local currency.
However, BOJ Governor Brian Wynter responded on Friday, saying that enough though it is true that the bank is the US currency, it is wrong to describe the situation as the Bank of Jamaica driving the rate up.
The Parliamentary Opposition is among several groups that have recently expressed concern regarding the depreciation of the Jamaican dollar against the US currency.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Reggae Girlz Train At Montego Bay Sports Complex Today - January 20, 2019
- Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites ‘Mad And Mean’ For Season 14 - January 16, 2019
- Here Is Why 2019 Will Be A Great Year For Tourism In Jamaica - January 15, 2019
- Reggae Boy Peter-Lee Vassell Drafted by Los Angeles FC - January 13, 2019
- Caribbean Food And Drink Festival “Taste The Islands Experience” Returns To Fort Lauderdale—Bigger And Better - January 10, 2019
- Buju Concert Scheduled For March 16th In Jamaica - January 6, 2019
- Ruffi Delivers Again With New Single ‘Pressure’ - January 2, 2019
- PM And Security Experts Meet To Plan Further Anti-Crime Strategies - January 1, 2019
- New Short Film Shines Light On Bob Marley’s Love For Football - December 30, 2018
- Leon Bailey To Be Instructed By New Coach At Bayer Leverkusen - December 26, 2018