Foreign Exchange: J$135.46 To One US Dollar
On Friday, August 3 the US dollar ended trading at J$135.46 down by 7 cents according to the Bank of Jamaica’s daily foreign exchange trading summary.
The Canadian dollar ended trading at J$105.25 up from J$105.15 while the British pound sterling ended trading at J$174.97 up from J$174.78.
The sliding dollar has in recent times prompted assertions that the Bank of Jamaica (BOJ) is manipulating the foreign exchange rate.
Earlier this week, Mark Golding, Opposition Spokesman on Finance, vocalised his concerns about the BOJ buying US dollars at high rates, which could potentially place added pressure on the local currency.
However, BOJ Governor Brian Wynter responded on Friday, saying that enough though it is true that the bank is the US currency, it is wrong to describe the situation as the Bank of Jamaica driving the rate up.
The Parliamentary Opposition is among several groups that have recently expressed concern regarding the depreciation of the Jamaican dollar against the US currency.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Jamaica’s Reggae Girlz Pull Off Comfortable 3-1 Win Over Panama - May 20, 2019
- James Bond Star Suffers Injury While Filming In Jamaica - May 15, 2019
- Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites Gear Up For ‘Mad and Mean’ Finals - May 10, 2019
- Gayle Returns Home To The Jamaica Tallawahs - May 6, 2019
- Less People Getting Married In Jamaica - April 22, 2019
- Minor Quake Rattles Sections Of Jamaica - April 15, 2019
- Who Will Win The Jamaican Premier Football League 2019? - April 3, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 4: Nyanda - March 27, 2019
- Veteran Broadcaster Dorraine Samuels Dies At 59 - March 26, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 3: Anthony B - March 22, 2019