Parliament Votes to Extend State Of Emergency In St. Catherine North
Members of the House of Representatives during its sitting last Tuesday voted in favour of the resolution to extend the State of Public Emergency in St. Catherine North Police Division until August 2, 2018.
Prime Minister Andrew Holness who brought the resolution to Parliament said the enhanced security measures in the St. Catherine North Police Division have, so far, resulted in a 26 per cent reduction in incidents of murder and shootings in the area.
“The presence, activities and influence of the security forces have not only curtailed gang influence but have also acted as a further deterrent to the commission of crimes in public spaces. It has also brought back a sense of law and order in communities,” said Prime Minister Holness.
The Prime Minister went on to explain that it is within that context that an extension of the State of Public Emergency and the Emergency Powers Regulations should remain in force.
Prime Minister Holness said while the state of public emergency is not meant to be a permanent feature, additional time is needed to make further progress to ensure that the results will be lasting and positive in the lives of the Jamaican citizens, and to eradicate organised criminality.
“The next phase of our operations is not so much to go and detain the corner men; the next phase of the operation is to use the space created, the networks that we have uprooted to get to the mastermind and kingpins. We are in a different phase and you will start to see the impact in months to come,” the Prime Minister told the House.
An extension of the period must be approved by both Houses of Parliament by resolution supported by a two thirds majority of all members of each House.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Reggae Girlz Take On Scotland Today! - May 28, 2019
- Captivating Colombia Takes ‘Mad And Mean’ International Night Finals - May 23, 2019
- Jamaica’s Reggae Girlz Pull Off Comfortable 3-1 Win Over Panama - May 20, 2019
- James Bond Star Suffers Injury While Filming In Jamaica - May 15, 2019
- Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites Gear Up For ‘Mad and Mean’ Finals - May 10, 2019
- Gayle Returns Home To The Jamaica Tallawahs - May 6, 2019
- Less People Getting Married In Jamaica - April 22, 2019
- Minor Quake Rattles Sections Of Jamaica - April 15, 2019
- Who Will Win The Jamaican Premier Football League 2019? - April 3, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 4: Nyanda - March 27, 2019