Jamaica’s Minimum Wage Increased By Roughly 13 Percent
Jamaica’s minimum wage is to be increased by roughly 13 percent.
The increase will be in effect as of Emancipation Day, August 1, 2018.
Minister of Labour and Social Security, Shahine Robinson announced the increase on Tuesday during her contribution to the 2018/2019 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives.
The 12.9 percent increase will see the minimum wage climb from 6,200 to $7,000 per week.
The minimum wage for industrial security guards has also been increased by 9.6 per cent. The increase will see their minimum wage move from $8,854 per week to $9, 700 per week. This equates to $242.50 per hour.
According to the minister, the implementation of the new minimum rates are the result of the recommendations of the National Minimum Wage Commission.
She is also quoted by The Observer as saying:
“We have taken into account the stability of the Jamaican economy, the rate of inflation and the economic circumstance of the workers, as well as the ability of the employers to absorb an increase”.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- More Casinos To Boost Tourism In Jamaica? - September 19, 2018
- Isaac Dissipates - September 15, 2018
- Isaac To Hit Lesser Antilles, Not Currently A Threat To Jamaica - September 12, 2018
- Ideal Selections For Your BTTS Tips - September 10, 2018
- ‘Nick’s Seasonings’ Gives Back To Sligoville Community - September 7, 2018
- How Technology Has Made The World Smaller By Creating Remote Working Environments - September 4, 2018
- “Oh What A Finish!” Leon Bailey Scores Cracker For Leverkusen - September 3, 2018
- Elderly Jamaican Man Arrested In Florida After Setting Fire To Raccoon Which Ate His Mangoes - August 30, 2018
- Chas. E. Ramson Limited. Cushions Infant Care Costs With ‘Kiss Baby’ Diaper Donations - August 26, 2018
- JCDC, Patrick Kitson Launch Dual Art Exhibition In Kingston - August 14, 2018