Jamaica’s Minimum Wage Increased By Roughly 13 Percent
Jamaica’s minimum wage is to be increased by roughly 13 percent.
The increase will be in effect as of Emancipation Day, August 1, 2018.
Minister of Labour and Social Security, Shahine Robinson announced the increase on Tuesday during her contribution to the 2018/2019 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives.
The 12.9 percent increase will see the minimum wage climb from 6,200 to $7,000 per week.
The minimum wage for industrial security guards has also been increased by 9.6 per cent. The increase will see their minimum wage move from $8,854 per week to $9, 700 per week. This equates to $242.50 per hour.
According to the minister, the implementation of the new minimum rates are the result of the recommendations of the National Minimum Wage Commission.
She is also quoted by The Observer as saying:
“We have taken into account the stability of the Jamaican economy, the rate of inflation and the economic circumstance of the workers, as well as the ability of the employers to absorb an increase”.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Reggae Girlz Train At Montego Bay Sports Complex Today - January 20, 2019
- Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites ‘Mad And Mean’ For Season 14 - January 16, 2019
- Here Is Why 2019 Will Be A Great Year For Tourism In Jamaica - January 15, 2019
- Reggae Boy Peter-Lee Vassell Drafted by Los Angeles FC - January 13, 2019
- Caribbean Food And Drink Festival “Taste The Islands Experience” Returns To Fort Lauderdale—Bigger And Better - January 10, 2019
- Buju Concert Scheduled For March 16th In Jamaica - January 6, 2019
- Ruffi Delivers Again With New Single ‘Pressure’ - January 2, 2019
- PM And Security Experts Meet To Plan Further Anti-Crime Strategies - January 1, 2019
- New Short Film Shines Light On Bob Marley’s Love For Football - December 30, 2018
- Leon Bailey To Be Instructed By New Coach At Bayer Leverkusen - December 26, 2018