Jamaican Film”Sprinter” Wins Big At American Black Film Festival
Earlier this month, the movie “Sprinter,” which was shot on location in Jamaica and executive produced by Will And Jada Pinkett Smith received three awards at the American Black Film Festival (ABFF) held in Miami, Florida.
The American Black Film Festival, formerly named The Black Movie Awards is an independent film festival that focuses primarily on black film works by Black members of the film industry.
The festival is held annually and features full-length narratives, short films, mobile entertainment and documentaries, all by and/or featuring Black writers, directors, actors, and actresses.
The film was written and directed by Saul Saulter and follows Akeem, a 17-year-old Rastafarian teenager and track athlete. Burdened by an unstable father and an unruly older brother, his goal is to qualify for the national youth team and go to the World Youth Championships in Philadelphia.
There, Akeem hopes reunite with his mother, who’s been living in Philly illegally for 10 years. But once he gets there, he realizes that dream isn’t necessarily shared.
Sprinter won the following awards:
Audience Award – Sprinter
Best Feature – (2018 Jury Award): Sprinter — executive producers Will & Jada Pinkett Smith; Producers Robert Maylor, Clarence Hammond, Jamal Watson
Best Director – (2018 Jury Award): Storm Saulter, Sprinter
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 3: Anthony B - March 22, 2019
- Jamaican Players In the MLS - March 18, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 2: Julian Marley - March 12, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 1: Wayne Wonder - March 5, 2019
- Doctors Still Not Able To Diagnose Kemoy Campbell’s Condition - February 25, 2019
- Shaggy And Sting Cop Reggae Grammy - February 11, 2019
- Jamaica Remains 54th in Latest FIFA Rankings - February 8, 2019
- 3 Bedroom Home For Sale In St Thomas - February 5, 2019
- Caribbean Legal And Media Powerhouses Join Forces In South Florida - February 3, 2019
- First National Gallery Representation For Jamaican Visual Artist Maia Chung For 2019 - January 29, 2019