State Of Emergency Extended For St James
On Tuesday The House of Representatives voted to extend the state of emergency in St James for an additional three months.
The state of emergency, which has also been given the designation – enhanced security measures was first imposed on the parish for a two week period in January.
It was subsequently extended until May 3 and this latest extension will see it continue for for an additional 90 days until August 2.
The state of emergency was initially prompted in response to a surging murder rate in the parish which recorded 335 murders in 2017.
Following the decision by parliament, Prime Minister Andrew Holness stated via an online statement that the Jamaican state is committed to protecting its people and the country has to take a stance against crime.
“What we are facing with crime is a problem that transcends politics. Regardless of who is in power there should be a unified position on fixing crime.
The residents of St. James are no longer fearful of the presence of the security forces. They are now asking for the security forces to remain.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Reggae Girlz Train At Montego Bay Sports Complex Today - January 20, 2019
- Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites ‘Mad And Mean’ For Season 14 - January 16, 2019
- Here Is Why 2019 Will Be A Great Year For Tourism In Jamaica - January 15, 2019
- Reggae Boy Peter-Lee Vassell Drafted by Los Angeles FC - January 13, 2019
- Caribbean Food And Drink Festival “Taste The Islands Experience” Returns To Fort Lauderdale—Bigger And Better - January 10, 2019
- Buju Concert Scheduled For March 16th In Jamaica - January 6, 2019
- Ruffi Delivers Again With New Single ‘Pressure’ - January 2, 2019
- PM And Security Experts Meet To Plan Further Anti-Crime Strategies - January 1, 2019
- New Short Film Shines Light On Bob Marley’s Love For Football - December 30, 2018
- Leon Bailey To Be Instructed By New Coach At Bayer Leverkusen - December 26, 2018