Ex-Reggae Boyz Defender Lands WBA Manager Job
Moore promoted from caretaker for assault on Championship
Darren Moore, who played a trio of internationals for Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz, has been appointed West Bromwich Albion manager.
The 44-year-old has been announced as taking over the reins, and promoted from interim manager for the recently relegated Birmingham-based outfit.
Moore was moved from assistant manager for six top-flight games as an stop gap solution, yet surprisingly suffered just one defeat during his stint that revitalised the attitude of the squad and fans alike.
But his caretaker capacity, which scooped 11 points plus shock victories over Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur, came too late to save WBA’s PL status.
With Moore and Brentford manager Dean Smith considered for the vacancy following the sacking of Alan Pardew, it was a two-horse race to take over.
But Moore, despite lacking any previous experience in a coaching capacity, was the man the Baggies wanted to try to make a swift return to the top tier.
The former centre-half made over 100 appearances for WBA, which included being promoted twice from England’s second tier.
That first-hand experience is believed to have swayed WBA chief executive Mark Jenkins and technical consultant Giuliano Terraneo, who flew to China at the start of the week to hold talks with owner Guochuan Lai about making a permanent managerial appointment.
Jenkins said about Moore: “He embodies the spirit of the club and the spirit of what we are striving to achieve in this new chapter ahead.”
Delighted Moore explained: “I’m obviously extremely proud to accept this role and also extremely excited.
“We’ve a big summer ahead of us, a lot of hard work we need to get in now.
“I’m going all out to try to get those plans and personnel in place to make sure we’ve got everything ready. And we need to be because this is a tough league packed with great clubs.
“But what an opportunity for us to move the club in the right direction.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Whitmore Runs Eye Over Jamaica’s Cream Of Talent - February 20, 2019
- Bailey’s Back On Target In Germany - February 18, 2019
- Morrison Makes Move To Scandinavia - February 16, 2019
- Bailey Seemingly Happy To Play International Waiting Game - February 15, 2019
- Love And Romance Tips From Love Doctor Monti - February 13, 2019
- Morrison On Jamaica’s Wanted List To Tackle El Salvador - February 12, 2019
- Bailey’s Blast Ends Personal Goal Drought - February 3, 2019
- Bolt Launches His Own Brand Of Champagne With Jamaican-Style Taste - January 25, 2019
- Fuller’s Out Of Retirement For One Last Shot - January 24, 2019
- Bolt Sponsors Jamaica’s Special Olympics Team For US$1m - January 23, 2019