Bailey Causes A Stir Ahead Of England World Cup Announcement
Kingston-born hot shot claims he is a “humble lion”
Leon Bailey made a shock shot for a place in England’s squad for this summer’s World Cup finals in Russia by turning to social media.
The Kingston-born midfield maestro, whose father and manager Craig Butler has long been in an embittered row with the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), tweeted that he is a “humble lion” ahead of today’s England squad announcement. It was no surprise that he was not considered, having yet to feature in the plans of England manager Gareth Southgate for the very simple reason of ineligibility.
The 22-year-old has yet to make his full senior international debut and, with warring words between Butler and the JFF, then Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz appear to be off limits.
Butler has made claims that the Bayer Levenkusan ace has grandparents with English passports so could represent England. However, no proof has been forthcoming, and instead Butler has been diverting officials and the media alike by stating that Bailey could also play for Belgium or minnows Malta on the international stage.
Bailey could be thrust into Southgate’s future plans should firm evidence be supplied to the England Football Association, especially if he was playing in England. He is a wanted man by a plethora of top flight teams in the Premier League that include Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham.
Bailey has become good friends with Reheem Sterling, also born in Kingston, who plies his trade with PL champions Manchester City and has been selected for England’s shot at winning the World Cup.
But Butler will no doubt be kicking himself that the talented Bailey isn’t competing on the highest level yet, especially when the World Cup comes only every four years.
He likely played a major role in prompting his son to cheekily remind the England FA that Bailey one day aims to pull on one of the Three Lions shirts.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Bolt Hangs Up His Boots As He Reaches Football Finish Line - January 22, 2019
- Bailey Back On Target For Bayer Leverkusen - January 16, 2019
- Jamaica Miss Out On Top 50 To Kick-Off 2019 - December 28, 2018
- Benched Bailey To Assess Next Career Move - December 17, 2018
- Jamaican International Williams Wins Medal - December 10, 2018
- Bolt’s Mexico Footballing Dream Demolished - December 3, 2018
- Bolt Back On The Football Pitch – In London - November 29, 2018
- Turkish Top Team Deny Bolt Interest - November 24, 2018
- Bolt On Track To Join Mexican Football Club? - November 22, 2018
- Mattocks On Target As Boyz Beat Suriname - November 19, 2018