Murders Down By Nearly 80 Percent In St James Under State Of Emergency
On January 18, 2018, a State Of Emergency (SOE) was declared in St James.
And the enhanced security measures provided by the SOE appear to be putting a major dent in the number of murders being committed in the parish.
Assistant Commissioner of Police, Ealan Powell recently revealed that since the declaration SOE in the parish this year, there has been a nearly 80 per cent reduction in murders in comparison to the same period last year.
He reportedly made the revelation while speaking at a St James Municipal Corporation/Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) state of emergency stakeholders’ town hall meeting at the Montego Bay Cultural Centre on Thursday.
ACP Powell is quoted by Loop Jamaica as saying:
“What has happened in the parish, last year between January 18 and today (Thursday, April 12), we had 62 murders in the parish. This year we (have) had 14 murders. And I would say that is 14 too many, but I give thanks for small mercies. That is a 77.5 per cent reduction in murders for this period over that period, which I think is tremendous.”
He added: “We are also seeing a 60 per cent reduction in shootings and, remember, every shooting is a potential murder.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Shaggy Performs At Queen Elizabeth’s Birthday Party - April 24, 2018
- Oil And Gas 3D Seismic Survey Nearly 50 Percent Complete - April 22, 2018
- Solange Knowles Writes Thank You Letter To Jamaica - April 21, 2018
- Canadian Politician Sparks Outrage With Remarks About Jamaicans, Later Apologises - April 20, 2018
- Health Ministry Reports Steep Rise In Obesity Among 13-15 Year Olds - April 19, 2018
- Counterfeit Goods Valuing Over $100 Million Seized, Two Chinese Nationals Arrested - April 18, 2018
- Jamaicans Among Thousands From Caribbean To See Their Status Legalised In The UK - April 17, 2018
- Murders Down By Nearly 80 Percent In St James Under State Of Emergency - April 16, 2018
- 27 Medals For Jamaica At 2018 Commonwealth Games - April 15, 2018
- Leon Bailey Backs Bolt To Succeed As A Professional Footballer - April 14, 2018