Murders Down By Nearly 80 Percent In St James Under State Of Emergency
On January 18, 2018, a State Of Emergency (SOE) was declared in St James.
And the enhanced security measures provided by the SOE appear to be putting a major dent in the number of murders being committed in the parish.
Assistant Commissioner of Police, Ealan Powell recently revealed that since the declaration SOE in the parish this year, there has been a nearly 80 per cent reduction in murders in comparison to the same period last year.
He reportedly made the revelation while speaking at a St James Municipal Corporation/Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) state of emergency stakeholders’ town hall meeting at the Montego Bay Cultural Centre on Thursday.
ACP Powell is quoted by Loop Jamaica as saying:
“What has happened in the parish, last year between January 18 and today (Thursday, April 12), we had 62 murders in the parish. This year we (have) had 14 murders. And I would say that is 14 too many, but I give thanks for small mercies. That is a 77.5 per cent reduction in murders for this period over that period, which I think is tremendous.”
He added: “We are also seeing a 60 per cent reduction in shootings and, remember, every shooting is a potential murder.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Reggae Girlz Train At Montego Bay Sports Complex Today - January 20, 2019
- Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites ‘Mad And Mean’ For Season 14 - January 16, 2019
- Here Is Why 2019 Will Be A Great Year For Tourism In Jamaica - January 15, 2019
- Reggae Boy Peter-Lee Vassell Drafted by Los Angeles FC - January 13, 2019
- Caribbean Food And Drink Festival “Taste The Islands Experience” Returns To Fort Lauderdale—Bigger And Better - January 10, 2019
- Buju Concert Scheduled For March 16th In Jamaica - January 6, 2019
- Ruffi Delivers Again With New Single ‘Pressure’ - January 2, 2019
- PM And Security Experts Meet To Plan Further Anti-Crime Strategies - January 1, 2019
- New Short Film Shines Light On Bob Marley’s Love For Football - December 30, 2018
- Leon Bailey To Be Instructed By New Coach At Bayer Leverkusen - December 26, 2018