Murders Down By Nearly 80 Percent In St James Under State Of Emergency
On January 18, 2018, a State Of Emergency (SOE) was declared in St James.
And the enhanced security measures provided by the SOE appear to be putting a major dent in the number of murders being committed in the parish.
Assistant Commissioner of Police, Ealan Powell recently revealed that since the declaration SOE in the parish this year, there has been a nearly 80 per cent reduction in murders in comparison to the same period last year.
He reportedly made the revelation while speaking at a St James Municipal Corporation/Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) state of emergency stakeholders’ town hall meeting at the Montego Bay Cultural Centre on Thursday.
ACP Powell is quoted by Loop Jamaica as saying:
“What has happened in the parish, last year between January 18 and today (Thursday, April 12), we had 62 murders in the parish. This year we (have) had 14 murders. And I would say that is 14 too many, but I give thanks for small mercies. That is a 77.5 per cent reduction in murders for this period over that period, which I think is tremendous.”
He added: “We are also seeing a 60 per cent reduction in shootings and, remember, every shooting is a potential murder.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Woman Hides Her Face With Comical Emoji Mask When Collecting Lottery Winnings - June 17, 2018
- Teenaged Boy Charged For Cassava Piece Murder – JCF - June 16, 2018
- 7-Yr-Old Boy Dies In Tragic Freak Accident At School - June 14, 2018
- Pharmaceutical Society Of Jamaica Expresses Concern About Counterfeit Medicines - June 13, 2018
- Statue of Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Now In Jamaica - June 13, 2018
- Usain Bolt’s Superb Goal Disallowed In Football Game At Old Trafford - June 12, 2018
- Wayne Marshall Announces Death Of His Father In Touching Social Media Post - June 11, 2018
- Fraser-Pryce Wins 100-Metre Event At Racers Grand Prix - June 10, 2018
- Prime Minister Makes Historic Appearance At G7 Summit! - June 9, 2018
- Shelly-Ann Fraser Pryce Is Back On Track At The JN Racers Grand Prix Live On 1spotmedia Pay- Per- View - June 8, 2018