State Of Public Emergency Declared In St. Catherine North Police Division
On Sunday Prime Minister Andrew Holness revealed that a State of Public Emergency has been declared in the St. Catherine North Police Division.
The enhanced security measures took effect today Sunday March 18, 2018.
Via a statement the prime minister said:
“The measures will last for an initial 14 days.
The State of Emergency comes against the background of increasing criminal activity including murders and extortion in the police division in particular the Spanish Town area.
The security forces have advised me, as Prime Minister, in writing that a high level of criminal activity continues and threatens public order and the rule of law. This threat is extensive. The Governor General signed the proclamation under the Emergency Powers Act to bring into effect these enhanced security measures. The proclamation has also been gazetted.
Police statistics show that the St. Catherine North division has recorded the highest number of homicides this year with 48 persons being killed since January 1 to March 18. Last year 136 persons were killed in the division.
As a result of the enhanced security measures, the joint forces will have extraordinary powers and some rights of citizens will be curtailed.
This does not mean that the use of these extraordinary powers can be arbitrary or are beyond review. The security forces are expected and have been directed to treat citizens with respect and to protect the dignity and safety of all Jamaicans.
In addition, the security forces will have the power to search, curtail operating hours of business, access to places and to detain persons without a warrant. In addition all persons using roads leading in and out of the police division will be subject to search. Persons will also be stopped at checkpoints.
The Emergency Powers Tribunal is to be named shortly.
The special hotline set up for persons to give information remains open.
The number is 830-8888.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Shaggy Performs At Queen Elizabeth’s Birthday Party - April 24, 2018
- Oil And Gas 3D Seismic Survey Nearly 50 Percent Complete - April 22, 2018
- Solange Knowles Writes Thank You Letter To Jamaica - April 21, 2018
- Canadian Politician Sparks Outrage With Remarks About Jamaicans, Later Apologises - April 20, 2018
- Health Ministry Reports Steep Rise In Obesity Among 13-15 Year Olds - April 19, 2018
- Counterfeit Goods Valuing Over $100 Million Seized, Two Chinese Nationals Arrested - April 18, 2018
- Jamaicans Among Thousands From Caribbean To See Their Status Legalised In The UK - April 17, 2018
- Murders Down By Nearly 80 Percent In St James Under State Of Emergency - April 16, 2018
- 27 Medals For Jamaica At 2018 Commonwealth Games - April 15, 2018
- Leon Bailey Backs Bolt To Succeed As A Professional Footballer - April 14, 2018