Jamaican Man Framed By Cops In New York Gets US$1 Million Payout
A Jamaican man who does not consume alcohol but was apprehended by police on an impaired driving charge has reportedly been awarded close to US $1 million after settling his lawsuit against New York City.
According to a report by the Daily News , Oliver Wiggins says he was charged in a cover-up after an officer ran a Brooklyn stop sign and ran into his car in April 2015.
Lawyer Scott Rynecki is quoted by CBS New York as saying “It is our position that the police officers attempted to do that simply to hide the fact and cover up the fact that they operated their vehicle in a reckless manor.”
A breathalyser test conducted at the scene of the crash showed no sign of alcohol in Wiggins’s system but his driver’s licence was still suspended, and he was forced to cover the repair costs for his 2004 Nissan Maxima as his insurance company refused to cover because of the supposed drunken driving.
Prosecutors dismissed the charges three months later.
US $1 million equates to roughly JMD $127,000,000.
Reports by US media outlets indicate that the officers involved in the case have not yet been charged with any crimes and are still employed by the New York Police Department.
EXCLUSIVE: A Brooklyn man is $1 million richer after an NYPD officer falsely charged him with a DWI — even with a Breathalyzer test that showed no alcohol in his blood https://t.co/TGkYNeif2c pic.twitter.com/TMCXHFvpQM
— New York Daily News (@NYDailyNews) March 2, 2018
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Historic! Jamaica’s Reggae Girlz Qualify For The 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup - October 18, 2018
- Reggae Boy Luton Shelton Afflicted With ALS Disease - October 13, 2018
- Alia Atkinson Scares World Record - October 6, 2018
- Jamaica, Russia Sign Reciprocal Visa Waiver Agreement - October 2, 2018
- Buju’s Post Prison Tour In The Works - September 26, 2018
- More Casinos To Boost Tourism In Jamaica? - September 19, 2018
- Isaac Dissipates - September 15, 2018
- Isaac To Hit Lesser Antilles, Not Currently A Threat To Jamaica - September 12, 2018
- Ideal Selections For Your BTTS Tips - September 10, 2018
- ‘Nick’s Seasonings’ Gives Back To Sligoville Community - September 7, 2018