Red Stripe Announces Free Taxi Rides For Carnival Season
Kingston, Jamaica – February 12, 2018 – Red Stripe today announced the Have a Ride on Us campaign in which the company will give away $500,000 in free taxi cab rides during the carnival season, summer and Christmas to encourage partygoers to think about their safety and plan for a designated driver whenever they intend to consume alcohol.
Red Stripe will provide 500 vouchers each valued at $1000 to be distributed through social media channels. Partnering companies, On Time Taxi Company and City Guide Taxi Service, will also each provide 50 vouchers.
“Whenever and wherever we celebrate, we should always plan for the safe ride home. Have a Ride on Us is a way for Red Stripe to engage consumers on the importance of choosing a designated driver. While 500 people will have the pleasure of a complimentary ride home during the Carnival season, we want everyone to consider having fun responsibly and getting home safely, long before they get to their party venue,” said Garth Williams, Sustainability Manager, Red Stripe.
In giving the campaign his full endorsement, Head of the Traffic Division, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Calvin Allen noted that Red Stripe’s continued action in leading the education of consumers on the dangers of alcohol-impaired driving has served to bolster the work of the police. “Red Stripe’s commitment to changing how people act when they go out encourages smart behaviour. I want to see fewer people driving drunk this year, and this campaign will surely help with that during Carnival,” said SSP Allen.
On its way to passage, the proposed amendment to the Road Traffic Act indicates stiffer fines for driving under the influence of alcohol. The acceptable alcohol level for regular drivers is 0.02 per cent. Motorists found driving over the limit will be fined $50,000.00 or face 30 days in prison. The new regulations also assign penalties to passengers travelling with a driver under the influence, with a fine of $12,000.
Representatives from both participating taxi-cab companies were enthusiastic in offering their own support for the campaign. Hamlet Lecky, a driver for On Time Taxi Company Limited shared, “This is a remarkable move by Red Stripe. Jamaicans love to party, and through this campaign, patrons can focus on enjoying themselves, while we focus on getting them home safely. We don’t want anyone getting into the driver’s seat when they shouldn’t.”
Have a Ride on Us is the latest in a series of campaigns by Red Stripe to educate the public on the responsible consumption of alcohol. Other initiatives include expert advice offered through its Drink Right app, available in both iOS and Android versions; and training for bar staff to sensitise them on the signs and effects of over-serving patrons.
- Usain Bolt Scores Superb Header In Borussia Dortmund Kit! - March 21, 2018
- Former England Youth Star Appears Eager To Join Reggae Boyz - March 21, 2018
- Getting De-Inked: Why Jamaicans Are Rethinking Their Tattoos - March 20, 2018
- Jay Z, Beyonce Visit Jamaica - March 20, 2018
- State Of Public Emergency Declared In St. Catherine North Police Division - March 19, 2018
- Plans In Place To Make Port Royal Jamaica’s Next Big Cruise Destination - March 18, 2018
- Jamaican Among Six Killed In Bridge Collapse At Florida University - March 17, 2018
- Police Seize Over 1000 Rounds Of Assorted Ammunition In Cemetery – JCF - March 16, 2018
- Lisa Hanna – “Trump’s Tariffs Could Hurt Jamaica Badly!” - March 15, 2018
- 20 Million Streams On Spotify For Devin Di Dakta - March 15, 2018