Red Stripe Announces Free Taxi Rides For Carnival Season
Kingston, Jamaica – February 12, 2018 – Red Stripe today announced the Have a Ride on Us campaign in which the company will give away $500,000 in free taxi cab rides during the carnival season, summer and Christmas to encourage partygoers to think about their safety and plan for a designated driver whenever they intend to consume alcohol.
Red Stripe will provide 500 vouchers each valued at $1000 to be distributed through social media channels. Partnering companies, On Time Taxi Company and City Guide Taxi Service, will also each provide 50 vouchers.
“Whenever and wherever we celebrate, we should always plan for the safe ride home. Have a Ride on Us is a way for Red Stripe to engage consumers on the importance of choosing a designated driver. While 500 people will have the pleasure of a complimentary ride home during the Carnival season, we want everyone to consider having fun responsibly and getting home safely, long before they get to their party venue,” said Garth Williams, Sustainability Manager, Red Stripe.
In giving the campaign his full endorsement, Head of the Traffic Division, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Calvin Allen noted that Red Stripe’s continued action in leading the education of consumers on the dangers of alcohol-impaired driving has served to bolster the work of the police. “Red Stripe’s commitment to changing how people act when they go out encourages smart behaviour. I want to see fewer people driving drunk this year, and this campaign will surely help with that during Carnival,” said SSP Allen.
On its way to passage, the proposed amendment to the Road Traffic Act indicates stiffer fines for driving under the influence of alcohol. The acceptable alcohol level for regular drivers is 0.02 per cent. Motorists found driving over the limit will be fined $50,000.00 or face 30 days in prison. The new regulations also assign penalties to passengers travelling with a driver under the influence, with a fine of $12,000.
Representatives from both participating taxi-cab companies were enthusiastic in offering their own support for the campaign. Hamlet Lecky, a driver for On Time Taxi Company Limited shared, “This is a remarkable move by Red Stripe. Jamaicans love to party, and through this campaign, patrons can focus on enjoying themselves, while we focus on getting them home safely. We don’t want anyone getting into the driver’s seat when they shouldn’t.”
Have a Ride on Us is the latest in a series of campaigns by Red Stripe to educate the public on the responsible consumption of alcohol. Other initiatives include expert advice offered through its Drink Right app, available in both iOS and Android versions; and training for bar staff to sensitise them on the signs and effects of over-serving patrons.
- More Casinos To Boost Tourism In Jamaica? - September 19, 2018
- Isaac Dissipates - September 15, 2018
- Isaac To Hit Lesser Antilles, Not Currently A Threat To Jamaica - September 12, 2018
- Ideal Selections For Your BTTS Tips - September 10, 2018
- ‘Nick’s Seasonings’ Gives Back To Sligoville Community - September 7, 2018
- How Technology Has Made The World Smaller By Creating Remote Working Environments - September 4, 2018
- “Oh What A Finish!” Leon Bailey Scores Cracker For Leverkusen - September 3, 2018
- Elderly Jamaican Man Arrested In Florida After Setting Fire To Raccoon Which Ate His Mangoes - August 30, 2018
- Chas. E. Ramson Limited. Cushions Infant Care Costs With ‘Kiss Baby’ Diaper Donations - August 26, 2018
- JCDC, Patrick Kitson Launch Dual Art Exhibition In Kingston - August 14, 2018