People Magazine Features Jamaican Spelling Bee Champion
Jamaica’s most recent spelling bee champion – Nathaniel Stone has been featured by People Magazine.
Following roughly 6 hours of competition, Stone quickly won a face-off against Daniel Williams in the final last Wednesday to become the 2018 Gleaner’s Children’s Own Spelling Bee champion.
The 11-year-old who hails from Clarendon and attends Glenmuir High earned the coveted title by correctly spelling the word OROTUND. This was his third attempt at winning the title.
And this May, Stone will travel to the United States to compete at the 2018 Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington DC.
Jamaica is the only non-U.S. country or territory to ever win the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
Jody-Anne Maxwell won the 1998 Scripps National Spelling Bee at the age of 12. She became the first non-American to win the competition.
This is the second consecutive year that a contestant from the parish of Clarendon has become the Jamaican champion. Last year’s winner was also from Clarendon and both winners were coached by Errol Campbell.
Stone is quoted by People Magazine as saying: To succeed you have to believe in something so much that it becomes a reality. I believe in myself.”
The Scripps National Spelling Bee is scheduled to take place between May 27-31, 2018 in Washington D.C.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Reggae Girlz Train At Montego Bay Sports Complex Today - January 20, 2019
- Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites ‘Mad And Mean’ For Season 14 - January 16, 2019
- Here Is Why 2019 Will Be A Great Year For Tourism In Jamaica - January 15, 2019
- Reggae Boy Peter-Lee Vassell Drafted by Los Angeles FC - January 13, 2019
- Caribbean Food And Drink Festival “Taste The Islands Experience” Returns To Fort Lauderdale—Bigger And Better - January 10, 2019
- Buju Concert Scheduled For March 16th In Jamaica - January 6, 2019
- Ruffi Delivers Again With New Single ‘Pressure’ - January 2, 2019
- PM And Security Experts Meet To Plan Further Anti-Crime Strategies - January 1, 2019
- New Short Film Shines Light On Bob Marley’s Love For Football - December 30, 2018
- Leon Bailey To Be Instructed By New Coach At Bayer Leverkusen - December 26, 2018