People Magazine Features Jamaican Spelling Bee Champion
Jamaica’s most recent spelling bee champion – Nathaniel Stone has been featured by People Magazine.
Following roughly 6 hours of competition, Stone quickly won a face-off against Daniel Williams in the final last Wednesday to become the 2018 Gleaner’s Children’s Own Spelling Bee champion.
The 11-year-old who hails from Clarendon and attends Glenmuir High earned the coveted title by correctly spelling the word OROTUND. This was his third attempt at winning the title.
And this May, Stone will travel to the United States to compete at the 2018 Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington DC.
Jamaica is the only non-U.S. country or territory to ever win the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
Jody-Anne Maxwell won the 1998 Scripps National Spelling Bee at the age of 12. She became the first non-American to win the competition.
This is the second consecutive year that a contestant from the parish of Clarendon has become the Jamaican champion. Last year’s winner was also from Clarendon and both winners were coached by Errol Campbell.
Stone is quoted by People Magazine as saying: To succeed you have to believe in something so much that it becomes a reality. I believe in myself.”
The Scripps National Spelling Bee is scheduled to take place between May 27-31, 2018 in Washington D.C.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Rising US Rapper With Jamaican Roots Killed In Florida - June 19, 2018
- Woman Hides Her Face With Comical Emoji Mask When Collecting Lottery Winnings - June 17, 2018
- Teenaged Boy Charged For Cassava Piece Murder – JCF - June 16, 2018
- 7-Yr-Old Boy Dies In Tragic Freak Accident At School - June 14, 2018
- Pharmaceutical Society Of Jamaica Expresses Concern About Counterfeit Medicines - June 13, 2018
- Statue of Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Now In Jamaica - June 13, 2018
- Usain Bolt’s Superb Goal Disallowed In Football Game At Old Trafford - June 12, 2018
- Wayne Marshall Announces Death Of His Father In Touching Social Media Post - June 11, 2018
- Fraser-Pryce Wins 100-Metre Event At Racers Grand Prix - June 10, 2018
- Prime Minister Makes Historic Appearance At G7 Summit! - June 9, 2018