People Magazine Features Jamaican Spelling Bee Champion
Jamaica’s most recent spelling bee champion – Nathaniel Stone has been featured by People Magazine.
Following roughly 6 hours of competition, Stone quickly won a face-off against Daniel Williams in the final last Wednesday to become the 2018 Gleaner’s Children’s Own Spelling Bee champion.
The 11-year-old who hails from Clarendon and attends Glenmuir High earned the coveted title by correctly spelling the word OROTUND. This was his third attempt at winning the title.
And this May, Stone will travel to the United States to compete at the 2018 Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington DC.
Jamaica is the only non-U.S. country or territory to ever win the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
Jody-Anne Maxwell won the 1998 Scripps National Spelling Bee at the age of 12. She became the first non-American to win the competition.
This is the second consecutive year that a contestant from the parish of Clarendon has become the Jamaican champion. Last year’s winner was also from Clarendon and both winners were coached by Errol Campbell.
Stone is quoted by People Magazine as saying: To succeed you have to believe in something so much that it becomes a reality. I believe in myself.”
The Scripps National Spelling Bee is scheduled to take place between May 27-31, 2018 in Washington D.C.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Kai, 10 Launches Her Kits To Keep Kids Clean And Healthy - August 13, 2019
- Leon Bailey Scores In 26 Seconds For Bayer Leverkusen! - August 11, 2019
- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Breaks Pan-Am 200m Record! - August 10, 2019
- Phoenix All Stars Football Academy Creates History In Belgium! - August 8, 2019
- U23 Reggae Boyz Defeat Peru - August 7, 2019
- Bailey On Target For Bayer In Pre-Season Friendly - July 31, 2019
- Artwork By Jamaican Visual Artist Maia Chung Chosen For Honour And Publication In Japan - July 19, 2019
- Jamaica’s Briana Williams Becomes NACAC 100m Champion - July 9, 2019
- Ruffi Scores Big With Hot New Single Holiday (VIDEO) - June 29, 2019
- Reggae Girlz Take On Scotland Today! - May 28, 2019