New Road Traffic Act For Jamaica
On Tuesday (Feb 6)the new Road Traffic Bill, which will repeal and replace the existing 1938 Act, was passed in the House of Representatives.
The legislation was approved with 131 amendments. It establishes new offences, as well as provides increased penalties for breaches.
A notable inclusion is a restriction on handheld devices; and a requirement for drivers to have a licence in their possession while operating a vehicle.
Offences under the Bill include: driving without required motor vehicle insurance coverage ($20,000); driving a motor vehicle without being the holder of a permit or driver’s licence ($40,000); failure of driver to obey traffic light ($24,000); loud noises within silence zones and failure to wear a protective helmet ($5,000); failure to comply with traffic signs ($10,000); and failure to stop at pedestrian crossings ($12,000).
The Bill proposes that acceptable alcohol levels shall not exceed 0.02 per cent for regular drivers.
Drugs, other than alcohol, which are now not included, are intended to be provided for with the appropriate test and thresholds established in the Regulations.
“The maximum quantities of alcohol and other drugs that are to be included in the Regulations will be provided by the Minister of Health,” Minister Henry said.
The legislation will now go to the Senate where it is anticipated that its passage will receive the same level of support that was received in the Lower House.
Following its passage in the Senate, it will then be sent to the Governor-General for assent, after which it will be gazetted and passed into law.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Reggae Girlz Train At Montego Bay Sports Complex Today - January 20, 2019
- Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites ‘Mad And Mean’ For Season 14 - January 16, 2019
- Here Is Why 2019 Will Be A Great Year For Tourism In Jamaica - January 15, 2019
- Reggae Boy Peter-Lee Vassell Drafted by Los Angeles FC - January 13, 2019
- Caribbean Food And Drink Festival “Taste The Islands Experience” Returns To Fort Lauderdale—Bigger And Better - January 10, 2019
- Buju Concert Scheduled For March 16th In Jamaica - January 6, 2019
- Ruffi Delivers Again With New Single ‘Pressure’ - January 2, 2019
- PM And Security Experts Meet To Plan Further Anti-Crime Strategies - January 1, 2019
- New Short Film Shines Light On Bob Marley’s Love For Football - December 30, 2018
- Leon Bailey To Be Instructed By New Coach At Bayer Leverkusen - December 26, 2018