Gov’t Senator Calls For Resumption Of Hanging
Government Senator Matthew Samuda recently expressed his desire to see hanging resumed in Jamaica.
According to the senator, a strong signal needs to be sent to murderers.
He made the call on Friday during his State of the Nation address in the Senate stating:
“We exist in a society where for several decades criminals who snuff out the lives of innocent men and women and children do not fear being caught, but also if and when caught, they simply do not fear the punishment.
“A glance at distant and contemporary history will confirm that societies which achieved a significant reduction in violent crime, did so partly by increasing the fear factor for criminals.
He added: “We need to invest more that they [criminals] are actually caught. But we also need to invest unprecedented billions in significantly improving our justice system, empowering the police force and using technology to build airtight cases.
“And when we do this, in respect of these callous beasts who have no respect for life – the single most important right, [criminals] who have displayed a high propensity to maim and murder innocent citizens of this country, it is my belief we need to hang them…and hang them high.”
Last year 1616 murders were recorded across the island and 100 persons were killed in the first 20 days of 2018.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Jamaica Represented In IDB Development Work - May 26, 2018
- Reggae Boyz Fall Out Of Top 50 In Latest FIFA Rankings - May 26, 2018
- Sean Paul Announces Death Of His Father - May 25, 2018
- Ananda Alert Issued For Missing St Ann Teen - May 24, 2018
- Street Team Win ‘Clash 13’ Of Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites Competition - May 23, 2018
- Ignite IGL Foundation Brings Cheer To Riverton Meadows Early Childhood Centre - May 22, 2018
- Gasoline Retailers Express Concern As Fuel Prices Rise - May 22, 2018
- Security Forces Seize Masks, Firearms In Westmoreland - May 21, 2018
- Gov’t Considers Increasing Ethanol Percentage In Petrol - May 20, 2018
- Bayern Munich Reportedly Make €60 Million Offer For Jamaican Winger Leon Bailey - May 19, 2018