Fire Destroys Historic Methodist Church In St Ann
On Tuesday morning (Feb 20) a historic Methodist Church located in the town of St Ann’s Bay was ravaged by a massive fire.
The church was constructed in 1838 but was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1898.
Reverend Everald Galbraith, Head of the Methodist Church in Jamaica is quoted by Loop News as saying:
““I mean when I heard this morning, I couldn’t believe it, and now seeing it, it is hard to believe. This is a church that has been here since the first of August 1838; many, many years connected with emancipation, seen many lives touched, and served this community in great ways. So it is very, very painful.”
He said a pipe organ that was 110 years old was destroyed in the blaze.
Galbraith also said “It is a loss that is not only physical in terms of the building, but is a loss in terms of the people’s sense of who they are, because the church has meant so much to people (and) to children who have grown up and know this place. It’s a loss in the sense that parts of them are gone. This (church) has been part of their lives for so many years.”
The Facebook page – Jamaica Methodist Youths and Young Adults made the following post after the fire:
“It is sad to say we have lost 1 of our founding churches St. Ann’s Bay Methodist to a fire early this morning…Let us pray for the congregants and for our District that in the midst of what we think are major setbacks we will find hope and work together to rebuild.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Usain Bolt Scores Superb Header In Borussia Dortmund Kit! - March 21, 2018
- Former England Youth Star Appears Eager To Join Reggae Boyz - March 21, 2018
- Getting De-Inked: Why Jamaicans Are Rethinking Their Tattoos - March 20, 2018
- Jay Z, Beyonce Visit Jamaica - March 20, 2018
- State Of Public Emergency Declared In St. Catherine North Police Division - March 19, 2018
- Plans In Place To Make Port Royal Jamaica’s Next Big Cruise Destination - March 18, 2018
- Jamaican Among Six Killed In Bridge Collapse At Florida University - March 17, 2018
- Police Seize Over 1000 Rounds Of Assorted Ammunition In Cemetery – JCF - March 16, 2018
- Lisa Hanna – “Trump’s Tariffs Could Hurt Jamaica Badly!” - March 15, 2018
- 20 Million Streams On Spotify For Devin Di Dakta - March 15, 2018