Fire Destroys Historic Methodist Church In St Ann
On Tuesday morning (Feb 20) a historic Methodist Church located in the town of St Ann’s Bay was ravaged by a massive fire.
The church was constructed in 1838 but was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1898.
Reverend Everald Galbraith, Head of the Methodist Church in Jamaica is quoted by Loop News as saying:
““I mean when I heard this morning, I couldn’t believe it, and now seeing it, it is hard to believe. This is a church that has been here since the first of August 1838; many, many years connected with emancipation, seen many lives touched, and served this community in great ways. So it is very, very painful.”
He said a pipe organ that was 110 years old was destroyed in the blaze.
Galbraith also said “It is a loss that is not only physical in terms of the building, but is a loss in terms of the people’s sense of who they are, because the church has meant so much to people (and) to children who have grown up and know this place. It’s a loss in the sense that parts of them are gone. This (church) has been part of their lives for so many years.”
The Facebook page – Jamaica Methodist Youths and Young Adults made the following post after the fire:
“It is sad to say we have lost 1 of our founding churches St. Ann’s Bay Methodist to a fire early this morning…Let us pray for the congregants and for our District that in the midst of what we think are major setbacks we will find hope and work together to rebuild.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- More Casinos To Boost Tourism In Jamaica? - September 19, 2018
- Isaac Dissipates - September 15, 2018
- Isaac To Hit Lesser Antilles, Not Currently A Threat To Jamaica - September 12, 2018
- Ideal Selections For Your BTTS Tips - September 10, 2018
- ‘Nick’s Seasonings’ Gives Back To Sligoville Community - September 7, 2018
- How Technology Has Made The World Smaller By Creating Remote Working Environments - September 4, 2018
- “Oh What A Finish!” Leon Bailey Scores Cracker For Leverkusen - September 3, 2018
- Elderly Jamaican Man Arrested In Florida After Setting Fire To Raccoon Which Ate His Mangoes - August 30, 2018
- Chas. E. Ramson Limited. Cushions Infant Care Costs With ‘Kiss Baby’ Diaper Donations - August 26, 2018
- JCDC, Patrick Kitson Launch Dual Art Exhibition In Kingston - August 14, 2018