Massive Earthquake In The Caribbean Sea Triggers Brief Tsunami Warning
A massive 7.6 magnitude earthquake shook the Caribbean Sea last night (January 9) resulting in brief tsunami warnings throughout the Caribbean and Central America.
The warnings have since been cancelled.
The earthquake struck off the coast of Honduras and reportedly rattled the mainland.
The quake occurred west of Jamaica at a depth of just 6.2 miles (10 km) and according to the National Tsunami Warning Center (NTWC), hazardous tsunami waves were possible within 621 miles (1,000 km) of the quake’s epicenter.
There have been no reports of casualties or serious damage on land since the quake.
After the tsunami warning was issued, Prime Minister Andrew Holness tweeted “Current models suggest no imminent threat to Jamaica. Updates will continue –
In a subsequent tweet, he said “Jamaica is officially not under threat from a Tsunami.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Jamaican Dalton Harris Delivers Incredible Rendition Of Beyonce’s ‘Listen’ On X Factor UK - November 18, 2018
- Stunning Home For Sale In Stonebrook Estate - November 12, 2018
- Jamaican Author Dwight Thompson Delivers Hard-Hitting Coming-Of-Age Tale With Debut Novel - November 11, 2018
- Fly Jamaica Plane Crash Lands In Guyana - November 9, 2018
- Jamaican Visual Artist Maia Chung Has First Solo Exhibition - November 9, 2018
- Two Reggae Girlz Named In CONCACAF Best Eleven - November 6, 2018
- The Ball Is In Bolt’s Court - October 30, 2018
- Ruffi Delivers At South Florida Event - October 27, 2018
- Historic! Jamaica’s Reggae Girlz Qualify For The 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup - October 18, 2018
- Reggae Boy Luton Shelton Afflicted With ALS Disease - October 13, 2018