Massive Earthquake In The Caribbean Sea Triggers Brief Tsunami Warning
A massive 7.6 magnitude earthquake shook the Caribbean Sea last night (January 9) resulting in brief tsunami warnings throughout the Caribbean and Central America.
The warnings have since been cancelled.
The earthquake struck off the coast of Honduras and reportedly rattled the mainland.
The quake occurred west of Jamaica at a depth of just 6.2 miles (10 km) and according to the National Tsunami Warning Center (NTWC), hazardous tsunami waves were possible within 621 miles (1,000 km) of the quake’s epicenter.
There have been no reports of casualties or serious damage on land since the quake.
After the tsunami warning was issued, Prime Minister Andrew Holness tweeted “Current models suggest no imminent threat to Jamaica. Updates will continue –
In a subsequent tweet, he said “Jamaica is officially not under threat from a Tsunami.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Woman Hides Her Face With Comical Emoji Mask When Collecting Lottery Winnings - June 17, 2018
- Teenaged Boy Charged For Cassava Piece Murder – JCF - June 16, 2018
- 7-Yr-Old Boy Dies In Tragic Freak Accident At School - June 14, 2018
- Pharmaceutical Society Of Jamaica Expresses Concern About Counterfeit Medicines - June 13, 2018
- Statue of Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Now In Jamaica - June 13, 2018
- Usain Bolt’s Superb Goal Disallowed In Football Game At Old Trafford - June 12, 2018
- Wayne Marshall Announces Death Of His Father In Touching Social Media Post - June 11, 2018
- Fraser-Pryce Wins 100-Metre Event At Racers Grand Prix - June 10, 2018
- Prime Minister Makes Historic Appearance At G7 Summit! - June 9, 2018
- Shelly-Ann Fraser Pryce Is Back On Track At The JN Racers Grand Prix Live On 1spotmedia Pay- Per- View - June 8, 2018