Jamaica On Cyber Alert Following Discovery Of Serious Vulnerabilities In Microprocessors
Jamaica’s Technology Ministry has put the island on alert following the discovery of serious vulnerabilities in microprocessors.
The vulnerabilities are known as “Meltdown” and “Spectre” and they affect a wide range of modern processors.
Meltdown specifically targets processors made by Intel while Spectre can be used to attack nearly all processor types.
The scope of danger presented by these vulnerabilities includes allowing attackers to gain access to “secured” memory belonging to various processes.
With this access, hackers can gain access to banking information, usernames and passwords, personally identifiable information, and other sensitive data.
Technology Minister Dr. Andrew Wheatley is quoted by RJR as saying:
“What we have found is that the level of exposure or the level of vulnerability as a result of a defect in these microprocessors can lead to some serious exploitation beyond what we can imagine, especially as it relates to access to sensitive data, passwords, pictures and sensitive information in general”.
Patches are already being released by software giants but they will result in a noticeable drop in performance on some devices.
Check out this video on the vulnerabilities below:
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Jamaica Represented In IDB Development Work - May 26, 2018
- Reggae Boyz Fall Out Of Top 50 In Latest FIFA Rankings - May 26, 2018
- Sean Paul Announces Death Of His Father - May 25, 2018
- Ananda Alert Issued For Missing St Ann Teen - May 24, 2018
- Street Team Win ‘Clash 13’ Of Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites Competition - May 23, 2018
- Ignite IGL Foundation Brings Cheer To Riverton Meadows Early Childhood Centre - May 22, 2018
- Gasoline Retailers Express Concern As Fuel Prices Rise - May 22, 2018
- Security Forces Seize Masks, Firearms In Westmoreland - May 21, 2018
- Gov’t Considers Increasing Ethanol Percentage In Petrol - May 20, 2018
- Bayern Munich Reportedly Make €60 Million Offer For Jamaican Winger Leon Bailey - May 19, 2018