Jamaican Turns 117 On Christmas Day
The Ministry of Local Government and Community Development has indicated that Jamaica’s oldest living person, Ida Troupe of Tivoli Gardens in Western Kingston, is set to celebrate her 117th birthday on Christmas Day.
The super-centenarian is said to have been one of the first people to move into Tivoli Gardens when the housing development was constructed in the early 1960s.
Troupe was born on December 25, 1900.
Member of Parliament (MP) for Western Kingston and Local Government and Community Development Minister, Desmond McKenzie said Troup will attain the same age as the late Violet Moss-Brown from Duanvale in Trelawny, who was officially certified by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s oldest verifiable living person, earlier this year.
“Christmas Day will have a very special meaning for me this year because of Miss Ida. She is an extraordinary person who has lived through so many events we only read about, including the 1907 earthquake, Hurricane Charlie of 1951, colonial government and internal self-government.
“We lay claim to her not only as Jamaica’s currently oldest living person, but also arguably, the world’s oldest living person. I am very proud to name her among my constituents, and I look forward to the Guinness Book of World Records officials returning to Jamaica to visit her,” McKenzie said.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- How To Use The Internet For Additional Earnings - April 26, 2018
- Shaggy Performs At Queen Elizabeth’s Birthday Party - April 24, 2018
- Oil And Gas 3D Seismic Survey Nearly 50 Percent Complete - April 22, 2018
- Solange Knowles Writes Thank You Letter To Jamaica - April 21, 2018
- Canadian Politician Sparks Outrage With Remarks About Jamaicans, Later Apologises - April 20, 2018
- Health Ministry Reports Steep Rise In Obesity Among 13-15 Year Olds - April 19, 2018
- Counterfeit Goods Valuing Over $100 Million Seized, Two Chinese Nationals Arrested - April 18, 2018
- Jamaicans Among Thousands From Caribbean To See Their Status Legalised In The UK - April 17, 2018
- Murders Down By Nearly 80 Percent In St James Under State Of Emergency - April 16, 2018
- 27 Medals For Jamaica At 2018 Commonwealth Games - April 15, 2018