Jamaican Turns 117 On Christmas Day
The Ministry of Local Government and Community Development has indicated that Jamaica’s oldest living person, Ida Troupe of Tivoli Gardens in Western Kingston, is set to celebrate her 117th birthday on Christmas Day.
The super-centenarian is said to have been one of the first people to move into Tivoli Gardens when the housing development was constructed in the early 1960s.
Troupe was born on December 25, 1900.
Member of Parliament (MP) for Western Kingston and Local Government and Community Development Minister, Desmond McKenzie said Troup will attain the same age as the late Violet Moss-Brown from Duanvale in Trelawny, who was officially certified by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s oldest verifiable living person, earlier this year.
“Christmas Day will have a very special meaning for me this year because of Miss Ida. She is an extraordinary person who has lived through so many events we only read about, including the 1907 earthquake, Hurricane Charlie of 1951, colonial government and internal self-government.
“We lay claim to her not only as Jamaica’s currently oldest living person, but also arguably, the world’s oldest living person. I am very proud to name her among my constituents, and I look forward to the Guinness Book of World Records officials returning to Jamaica to visit her,” McKenzie said.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Three Members Of Family Killed In St Thomas - January 21, 2018
- Jamaican Leon Bailey Scores Cheeky Back-Heel Goal For Bayer Leverkusen - January 20, 2018
- Canadian, British Tourists In St James Urged To Stay Within Resorts - January 20, 2018
- Former West Indies Youth Cricketer Of The Year Xavier Marshall To Represent The USA - January 19, 2018
- Major Military Operation In St James - January 18, 2018
- Bolt To Donate $1 Million To Children’s Home Following Deadly Fire - January 17, 2018
- Mobay Man Charged For Quadruple Murder - January 17, 2018
- Jamaica To Send First Women’s Bobsleigh Team To Olympics - January 16, 2018
- Jamaican Singer Diana King Weds Her Partner Mijanne Webster - January 16, 2018
- More Than 20 People Hospitalised Following Collision In St Thomas - January 15, 2018