Jamaican Turns 117 On Christmas Day
The Ministry of Local Government and Community Development has indicated that Jamaica’s oldest living person, Ida Troupe of Tivoli Gardens in Western Kingston, is set to celebrate her 117th birthday on Christmas Day.
The super-centenarian is said to have been one of the first people to move into Tivoli Gardens when the housing development was constructed in the early 1960s.
Troupe was born on December 25, 1900.
Member of Parliament (MP) for Western Kingston and Local Government and Community Development Minister, Desmond McKenzie said Troup will attain the same age as the late Violet Moss-Brown from Duanvale in Trelawny, who was officially certified by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s oldest verifiable living person, earlier this year.
“Christmas Day will have a very special meaning for me this year because of Miss Ida. She is an extraordinary person who has lived through so many events we only read about, including the 1907 earthquake, Hurricane Charlie of 1951, colonial government and internal self-government.
“We lay claim to her not only as Jamaica’s currently oldest living person, but also arguably, the world’s oldest living person. I am very proud to name her among my constituents, and I look forward to the Guinness Book of World Records officials returning to Jamaica to visit her,” McKenzie said.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Reggae Boy Luton Shelton Afflicted With ALS Disease - October 13, 2018
- Alia Atkinson Scares World Record - October 6, 2018
- Jamaica, Russia Sign Reciprocal Visa Waiver Agreement - October 2, 2018
- Buju’s Post Prison Tour In The Works - September 26, 2018
- More Casinos To Boost Tourism In Jamaica? - September 19, 2018
- Isaac Dissipates - September 15, 2018
- Isaac To Hit Lesser Antilles, Not Currently A Threat To Jamaica - September 12, 2018
- Ideal Selections For Your BTTS Tips - September 10, 2018
- ‘Nick’s Seasonings’ Gives Back To Sligoville Community - September 7, 2018
- How Technology Has Made The World Smaller By Creating Remote Working Environments - September 4, 2018