Jamaican Turns 117 On Christmas Day
The Ministry of Local Government and Community Development has indicated that Jamaica’s oldest living person, Ida Troupe of Tivoli Gardens in Western Kingston, is set to celebrate her 117th birthday on Christmas Day.
The super-centenarian is said to have been one of the first people to move into Tivoli Gardens when the housing development was constructed in the early 1960s.
Troupe was born on December 25, 1900.
Member of Parliament (MP) for Western Kingston and Local Government and Community Development Minister, Desmond McKenzie said Troup will attain the same age as the late Violet Moss-Brown from Duanvale in Trelawny, who was officially certified by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s oldest verifiable living person, earlier this year.
“Christmas Day will have a very special meaning for me this year because of Miss Ida. She is an extraordinary person who has lived through so many events we only read about, including the 1907 earthquake, Hurricane Charlie of 1951, colonial government and internal self-government.
“We lay claim to her not only as Jamaica’s currently oldest living person, but also arguably, the world’s oldest living person. I am very proud to name her among my constituents, and I look forward to the Guinness Book of World Records officials returning to Jamaica to visit her,” McKenzie said.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 2: Julian Marley - March 12, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 1: Wayne Wonder - March 5, 2019
- Doctors Still Not Able To Diagnose Kemoy Campbell’s Condition - February 25, 2019
- Shaggy And Sting Cop Reggae Grammy - February 11, 2019
- Jamaica Remains 54th in Latest FIFA Rankings - February 8, 2019
- 3 Bedroom Home For Sale In St Thomas - February 5, 2019
- Caribbean Legal And Media Powerhouses Join Forces In South Florida - February 3, 2019
- First National Gallery Representation For Jamaican Visual Artist Maia Chung For 2019 - January 29, 2019
- Ruffi Drops Hot New Single “Pressure” - January 28, 2019
- Home With Breathtaking Sea View For Sale In Oracabessa - January 26, 2019