Murders Up 26 Percent In First 9 Months Of 2017
National crime statistics have revealed that 1,216 persons were killed across the island between January 1 and October 4 , 2017.
This represents a 26 percent increase in the number of homicides when compared to the corresponding period in 2016.
Between the same period last year, 962 persons were killed.
This year’s figures equate to a daily murder rate of 4.4 – compared to a murder rate of 3.5 for the same period in 2016.
St James has so far recorded 224 murders with 127 being recorded in Clarendon.
August has been the bloodiest month so far with 169 murders recorded.
Police have pledged to intensify efforts to arrest the spike in crime.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- More Casinos To Boost Tourism In Jamaica? - September 19, 2018
- Isaac Dissipates - September 15, 2018
- Isaac To Hit Lesser Antilles, Not Currently A Threat To Jamaica - September 12, 2018
- Ideal Selections For Your BTTS Tips - September 10, 2018
- ‘Nick’s Seasonings’ Gives Back To Sligoville Community - September 7, 2018
- How Technology Has Made The World Smaller By Creating Remote Working Environments - September 4, 2018
- “Oh What A Finish!” Leon Bailey Scores Cracker For Leverkusen - September 3, 2018
- Elderly Jamaican Man Arrested In Florida After Setting Fire To Raccoon Which Ate His Mangoes - August 30, 2018
- Chas. E. Ramson Limited. Cushions Infant Care Costs With ‘Kiss Baby’ Diaper Donations - August 26, 2018
- JCDC, Patrick Kitson Launch Dual Art Exhibition In Kingston - August 14, 2018