Murders Up 26 Percent In First 9 Months Of 2017
National crime statistics have revealed that 1,216 persons were killed across the island between January 1 and October 4 , 2017.
This represents a 26 percent increase in the number of homicides when compared to the corresponding period in 2016.
Between the same period last year, 962 persons were killed.
This year’s figures equate to a daily murder rate of 4.4 – compared to a murder rate of 3.5 for the same period in 2016.
St James has so far recorded 224 murders with 127 being recorded in Clarendon.
August has been the bloodiest month so far with 169 murders recorded.
Police have pledged to intensify efforts to arrest the spike in crime.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Usain Bolt Scores Twice And Pulls Off Exquisite Nutmeg In Borussia Dortmund Training Session - March 24, 2018
- National Under 15 And Under 18 Table Tennis Squad Scheduled For Caribbean Tournament In Cuba - March 22, 2018
- “I Think We Can” See Bolt At Old Trafford Next Season – José Mourinho - March 22, 2018
- Usain Bolt Scores Superb Header In Borussia Dortmund Kit! - March 21, 2018
- Former England Youth Star Appears Eager To Join Reggae Boyz - March 21, 2018
- Getting De-Inked: Why Jamaicans Are Rethinking Their Tattoos - March 20, 2018
- Jay Z, Beyonce Visit Jamaica - March 20, 2018
- State Of Public Emergency Declared In St. Catherine North Police Division - March 19, 2018
- Plans In Place To Make Port Royal Jamaica’s Next Big Cruise Destination - March 18, 2018
- Jamaican Among Six Killed In Bridge Collapse At Florida University - March 17, 2018