Bolt Statue To Be Unveiled This Week
The highly anticipated statue of Jamaica’s legendary sprinter – Usain Bolt is to be unveiled this week.
Culture Minister, the Honourable Olivia Grange recently made the revelation stating that the unveiling will take place on Friday, 13 October 2017 at the National Stadium.
“The unveiling is [set for] 5:30 on Friday (afternoon) …following that will be a reception in honour of our track and field athletes who went to the World Championships in August,” said Minister Grange.
Minister Grange extended an invitation to the public to attend the unveiling ceremony:
“The public is invited. We’re asking that they come out early and give Usain all their love and appreciation and to get the first look at the life size statue that will be unveiled of Usain Bolt. And I know they will not be disappointed.”
The bronze sculpture was designed by renowned Jamaican sculptor Basil Watson and arrived in the island “during the past 24 hours,” according to the Minister.
The statue of Usain Bolt is the first of four statues of national sports stars that were commissioned by the Ministry of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport under the Jamaica 55 Legacy Programme.
The reception for the World Championship team (which is a private event) and the unveiling of the Bolt statue highlight activities for the celebration of Heritage Week.
“Heritage Week will be massive,” said Minister Grange who highlighted that there will be a National Reparations Youth Baton Relay, beginning in Heritage Week, and organised by the National Council on Reparations as part of the public education programme about the Government’s reparations agenda. “We will have Dr Julius Garvey (son of National Hero Marcus Garvey) visiting during this period and there will be a run with athletes across the island to take the message of reparations to the people of Jamaica,” said Minister Grange.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- More Casinos To Boost Tourism In Jamaica? - September 19, 2018
- Isaac Dissipates - September 15, 2018
- Isaac To Hit Lesser Antilles, Not Currently A Threat To Jamaica - September 12, 2018
- Ideal Selections For Your BTTS Tips - September 10, 2018
- ‘Nick’s Seasonings’ Gives Back To Sligoville Community - September 7, 2018
- How Technology Has Made The World Smaller By Creating Remote Working Environments - September 4, 2018
- “Oh What A Finish!” Leon Bailey Scores Cracker For Leverkusen - September 3, 2018
- Elderly Jamaican Man Arrested In Florida After Setting Fire To Raccoon Which Ate His Mangoes - August 30, 2018
- Chas. E. Ramson Limited. Cushions Infant Care Costs With ‘Kiss Baby’ Diaper Donations - August 26, 2018
- JCDC, Patrick Kitson Launch Dual Art Exhibition In Kingston - August 14, 2018