Miss Lou Square To Be Established In Gordon Town, St Andrew
Culture Minister Olivia Grange has revealed that the Government will be moving forward with plans regarding the establishment of Miss Lou Square in Gordon Town, St Andrew in tribute to “the mother of Jamaican culture”.
The centre piece of Miss Lou Square will feature a statue of the cultural icon to be completed in time for her 100th birthday.
Miss Lou was a Jamaican poet, folklorist, writer, and educator. Writing and performing her poems in Jamaican Patois or Creole, she worked to preserve the practice of presenting poetry, folk songs and stories in patois.
She was born on September 7, 1919 and died on July 26, 2006 at the age of 86.
Louise ‘Miss Lou’ Bennett is the most universally loved personality this nation has ever produced or likely will ever produce, engendering unabashed feelings of pride and affection in Jamaicans of all ages, colours, classes and creeds.
For over 50 years, she tirelessly championed Jamaican folk customs on stage, radio and television. Miss Lou is also the most popular poet in this island’s history, outselling all others put together. Read more
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Kartel Hospitalised - September 25, 2017
- Jermaine Barrett Dies After Hard Fought Battle With Cancer - September 25, 2017
- Most Wanted ‘Duppy Film’ Reportedly Killed By Police In St Thomas - September 24, 2017
- Miss Jamaica World 2017 Crowned - September 24, 2017
- US To Assist With Probe Into Tourist’s Death - September 23, 2017
- Autopsy On Medical Doctor’s Body To Be Conducted Today - September 22, 2017
- NCU Student Wins Full Tuition In Red Stripe ‘Drink Right’ App Design Competition - September 21, 2017
- Jamaican Model Gabrielle Davis Joins Cast Of VH1’s Love & Hip Hop: Miami - September 21, 2017
- Jamaica By Bike Returns With Kingston To Negril Charity Ride - September 20, 2017
- Cop Killed By Gunmen At His Home In St Catherine - September 20, 2017