Miss Lou Square To Be Established In Gordon Town, St Andrew
Culture Minister Olivia Grange has revealed that the Government will be moving forward with plans regarding the establishment of Miss Lou Square in Gordon Town, St Andrew in tribute to “the mother of Jamaican culture”.
The centre piece of Miss Lou Square will feature a statue of the cultural icon to be completed in time for her 100th birthday.
Miss Lou was a Jamaican poet, folklorist, writer, and educator. Writing and performing her poems in Jamaican Patois or Creole, she worked to preserve the practice of presenting poetry, folk songs and stories in patois.
She was born on September 7, 1919 and died on July 26, 2006 at the age of 86.
Louise ‘Miss Lou’ Bennett is the most universally loved personality this nation has ever produced or likely will ever produce, engendering unabashed feelings of pride and affection in Jamaicans of all ages, colours, classes and creeds.
For over 50 years, she tirelessly championed Jamaican folk customs on stage, radio and television. Miss Lou is also the most popular poet in this island’s history, outselling all others put together. Read more
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Getting De-Inked: Why Jamaicans Are Rethinking Their Tattoos - March 20, 2018
- Jay Z, Beyonce Visit Jamaica - March 20, 2018
- State Of Public Emergency Declared In St. Catherine North Police Division - March 19, 2018
- Plans In Place To Make Port Royal Jamaica’s Next Big Cruise Destination - March 18, 2018
- Jamaican Among Six Killed In Bridge Collapse At Florida University - March 17, 2018
- Police Seize Over 1000 Rounds Of Assorted Ammunition In Cemetery – JCF - March 16, 2018
- Lisa Hanna – “Trump’s Tariffs Could Hurt Jamaica Badly!” - March 15, 2018
- 20 Million Streams On Spotify For Devin Di Dakta - March 15, 2018
- Jamaican Artiste Sues Miley Cyrus For US$300 Million Over ‘We Can’t Stop’ - March 14, 2018
- US$500 Round Trip Flights From Jamaica To Germany Now Being Offered - March 14, 2018