Miss Lou Square To Be Established In Gordon Town, St Andrew
Culture Minister Olivia Grange has revealed that the Government will be moving forward with plans regarding the establishment of Miss Lou Square in Gordon Town, St Andrew in tribute to “the mother of Jamaican culture”.
The centre piece of Miss Lou Square will feature a statue of the cultural icon to be completed in time for her 100th birthday.
Miss Lou was a Jamaican poet, folklorist, writer, and educator. Writing and performing her poems in Jamaican Patois or Creole, she worked to preserve the practice of presenting poetry, folk songs and stories in patois.
She was born on September 7, 1919 and died on July 26, 2006 at the age of 86.
Louise ‘Miss Lou’ Bennett is the most universally loved personality this nation has ever produced or likely will ever produce, engendering unabashed feelings of pride and affection in Jamaicans of all ages, colours, classes and creeds.
For over 50 years, she tirelessly championed Jamaican folk customs on stage, radio and television. Miss Lou is also the most popular poet in this island’s history, outselling all others put together. Read more
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Prolific Jamaican Striker Dane Kelly Earns Golden Boot Award In USL - October 20, 2017
- 91-Yr-Old Jamaican Man Killed, Wife Injured During Robbery In The US - October 19, 2017
- PM Gives Mount Salem ZOSO ‘B Plus’ Grade - October 19, 2017
- Several High Powered Weapons Seized at Newport West – JCF - October 18, 2017
- Reggae Boy Andre Blake Nominated For MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - October 18, 2017
- PM Declares Denham Town Second Zone of Special Operations - October 17, 2017
- Gunmen Kill Goat Farmer in St Elizabeth - October 17, 2017
- Sangster International Named Caribbean’s Leading Airport – World Travel Awards - October 15, 2017
- Jamaican Dollar Revalues Against US Greenback - October 14, 2017
- Bodies Of Couple Found In Decomposed State In Ocho Rios - October 13, 2017