Hurricane Irma Strengthens to Category 5 Storm As It Approaches Caribbean
Hurricane Irma has now strengthened to a Category 5 storm.
The powerful cyclone is expected to remain a very dangerous hurricane as it nears the Leeward Islands.
Latest computer generated models show the storm avoiding Jamaica but meteorologists have indicated that Puerto Rico and other Caribbean may begin to feel its wrath by the end of the day.
America’s National Hurricane Center said the storm was approximately 320 miles (515 kilometers) east of the Leeward Islands as of 6 am on Tuesday. It is producing maximum sustained winds of 150 mph (240 kph) as it continues to head west at 14 mph (22 kph).
Irma is expected to make landfall early Wednesday on the island of Anguilla.
Jamaica’s Meteorological Service said Hurricane Irma is not currently a threat to the island but will keep an eye on the system.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Kartel Hospitalised - September 25, 2017
- Jermaine Barrett Dies After Hard Fought Battle With Cancer - September 25, 2017
- Most Wanted ‘Duppy Film’ Reportedly Killed By Police In St Thomas - September 24, 2017
- Miss Jamaica World 2017 Crowned - September 24, 2017
- US To Assist With Probe Into Tourist’s Death - September 23, 2017
- Autopsy On Medical Doctor’s Body To Be Conducted Today - September 22, 2017
- NCU Student Wins Full Tuition In Red Stripe ‘Drink Right’ App Design Competition - September 21, 2017
- Jamaican Model Gabrielle Davis Joins Cast Of VH1’s Love & Hip Hop: Miami - September 21, 2017
- Jamaica By Bike Returns With Kingston To Negril Charity Ride - September 20, 2017
- Cop Killed By Gunmen At His Home In St Catherine - September 20, 2017