Hurricane Irma Strengthens to Category 5 Storm As It Approaches Caribbean
Hurricane Irma has now strengthened to a Category 5 storm.
The powerful cyclone is expected to remain a very dangerous hurricane as it nears the Leeward Islands.
Latest computer generated models show the storm avoiding Jamaica but meteorologists have indicated that Puerto Rico and other Caribbean may begin to feel its wrath by the end of the day.
America’s National Hurricane Center said the storm was approximately 320 miles (515 kilometers) east of the Leeward Islands as of 6 am on Tuesday. It is producing maximum sustained winds of 150 mph (240 kph) as it continues to head west at 14 mph (22 kph).
Irma is expected to make landfall early Wednesday on the island of Anguilla.
Jamaica’s Meteorological Service said Hurricane Irma is not currently a threat to the island but will keep an eye on the system.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Leon Bailey Named In Provisional Reggae Boyz Squad For 2020 Olympic Qualifiers - February 24, 2018
- Live Oil Seeps Discovered In Jamaica! - February 23, 2018
- Two Charged For Murder Of Elderly Jamaican-Canadian Couple - February 22, 2018
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez Visit Jamaica For His Dad’s Wedding - February 21, 2018
- Fire Destroys Historic Methodist Church In St Ann - February 21, 2018
- Jamaican Man Labelled A Hero After Saving Young Girl From Vicious Pit Bull In Florida - February 20, 2018
- Jamaica’s Female Bobsleighers Complete Impressive Run At Winter Olympics - February 20, 2018
- Leon Bailey Steals Ball Off Defender, Evades Goalkeeper To Score - February 19, 2018
- Jimmy Cliff’s Daughter In Marvel’s Black Panther Movie - February 18, 2018
- Victim In Florida Mass Shooting Reportedly Has Jamaican Roots (Updated) - February 16, 2018