Hurricane Irma Pushes Closer To Caribbean
As of 11 p.m. Sunday (September 3) Hurricane Irma was approximately 710 miles east of Barbuda and Antigua, on the Caribbean’s eastern perimeter.
The powerful storm has already achieved Category 3 status and continues to move west-southwest at 14 miles.
Hurricane watches are already in effect in several Caribbean islands including Antigua, Barbuda, Anguilla, Montserrat, St. Kitts, Nevis Saba, St. Eustatius, St. Martin among others.
Fortunately the latest computer models suggest Jamaica is likely to be spared the wrath of the powerful storm but that could change in the coming days.
America’s National Hurricane Center’s intensity forecast indicates Irma could become a Category 4 hurricane in the next few days with winds up to 140 mph. Category four storms have sustained winds of between 130-156 mph.
The highest classification in the scale, Category 5, contains storms with sustained winds exceeding 156 mph (70 m/s; 136 kn; 251 km/h).
More updates later.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Kartel Hospitalised - September 25, 2017
- Jermaine Barrett Dies After Hard Fought Battle With Cancer - September 25, 2017
- Most Wanted ‘Duppy Film’ Reportedly Killed By Police In St Thomas - September 24, 2017
- Miss Jamaica World 2017 Crowned - September 24, 2017
- US To Assist With Probe Into Tourist’s Death - September 23, 2017
- Autopsy On Medical Doctor’s Body To Be Conducted Today - September 22, 2017
- NCU Student Wins Full Tuition In Red Stripe ‘Drink Right’ App Design Competition - September 21, 2017
- Jamaican Model Gabrielle Davis Joins Cast Of VH1’s Love & Hip Hop: Miami - September 21, 2017
- Jamaica By Bike Returns With Kingston To Negril Charity Ride - September 20, 2017
- Cop Killed By Gunmen At His Home In St Catherine - September 20, 2017